• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real OCS Fitness

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Were you there with the new CO?

Different CO's don't seem to change all that much about OCS. I was there with Col Rachal (sp?) and with Col Chase. Col Chase made a big deal about adding more PT in boots and less in running shoes. In my experience the PT from one summer to the next was pretty much the exact same stuff. The advice on this thread is pretty good. Run a lot, run on hills, run in boots some, mix exercises into the middle of your runs. Weights aren't as big of a deal, mainly exercises using your own body weight are what you need. Most of the really "jacked" guys had a harder time.

DenaliDrew

I suppose it's all relative. You can't really change that much without changing the course entirely. Guess at less than a month before OCC its really just final tune up time. I'm not really concerned, but still nervous. My orders were finally released today, so I'm pretty sure that explains my paranoia.

Anyone have any idea if they're doing ability groups or is it smoke check time for the 20 to 21 minute crowd?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Not exactly sure what you mean by ability groups. The PFT is every man for himself. Pretty much every other run for PT will be with your squad or with your whole platoon, and will be at a pace that challenges some but just works the rest. The timed events are mainly individual events. Basically just don't be the slowest few in your squad or platoon and you won't get smoked too bad or stand out too much. Don't kill yourself in the couple weeks leading up to OCS either. By that time either you are there or you aren't, get a bit of rest the week before you go.

DenaliDrew

The PFT is a given, obviously thats an individual effort. I guess the better example of ability groups would be the "cheetah, rabbit, turtle" groups- lucked out that every PME school that I've been to thus far has done it, but oh well, can't win 'em all.

Besides, if I wanted it easy, I'd be on my way to Newport, not Quantico.

manlypat

yawn
New CO

Were you there with the new CO?

Yes I was there with Col. Jackson, at OCC-202 from 1 OCT 09 to 11 DEC 09. Also it was my impression that the Colour Sergeant was a *major* force in the move away from running in go-fasters to functional fitness.

We wore go-fasters less than past classes, too. In the first 2-3 weeks we alternated go-fasters and boots to break them in. There were several things like that that are part of the new CO's program, or so I am told.

Col. Jackson: :thumbup_1 imho

b0pric01

pilot
As long as you DONT QUIT, things will be fine for you. Good luck.

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm sure others will read this looking for advice as well. I went into OCS blind as a bat as to what was going to happen to me. I did fairly well on the PFTs but had no other real training beforehand. I didn't play sports in highschool or college, unless you count skateboarding through all my teen years. I went in there and did fairly well, although I wish I had a bit more upper body endurance for the push pull sessions. I had never climbed a rope before OCS, never did a hump with a pack, never done a lot of things that I did there.

Honestly, I thought I was afraid of heights before the confidence course and tarzan course, but they ended up being the most fun things there. My point is, they will prepare you for what will happen, for the most part. As long as you have considerable endurance you will be fine. I am not saying to go in bad shape by any means, but as was posted previously, if you are scoring well on the PFT, you should have no real problems there. If I could make it through with only like 3 months of preparation, so can anyone, especially if they are looking for information to better prepare themselves for OCS.

DenaliDrew

Good info. Endurance is fine, hell I ran my 4th marathon in October and have kept up the training.

Somewhat relieved, however its still like the first football game, nerves are there until you get hit in the mouth. Then its normal again.

manlypat

yawn
Ability groups question

As for the question about recent OCS running, I went through OCC-202, Fall 2009 with Colonel Jackson.

No, they were not using ability groups, for poor runners, medium, and fast to keep pace with their own kind. If our platoon split into three squads for a run, it was based on alphabetized preformed squads, not ability.

NAeagle89

Here are my 2 cents referring to the original question even though the original post is outdated. I went to OCS this summer and I wish I would have prepared myself for the humps better. I arrived and was in PERFECT PFT shape running a 292 out of 300 but when it came to the humps it kicked my ass. The fartlek courses and go-faster runs were a lot easier than i thought and generally most of the PT was easier than I expected but the humps for some reason were miserable. At OCS you will always run more and do more than they say. Between walking 3/5 of a mile to the chow hall across the bridge and than 3/5 of a mile back 3 times a day thats a good amount of mileage for marching and throw on top of that a run/course in the morning in tough mountainous terrain it can be pretty tough. Take care of your FEET at all costs! By week 2 they will go numb and you wont feel much from them but be sure to look at them for any cuts, swelling, etc or anything that can be harmful. For non-PFT preparing for OCS know how to CLIMB A ROPE! Practice using the 2 main methods that your taught and try to climb using perfect form and not using your arms. You will normally have to do the ropes before you start your run or after the obstacle course and you will want to have all the energy you have. Know how to mount a rope and get across with proper form. All of these small things your OSO can teach you and it will make OCS that much easier for you because between the normal studying and knowledge/sleep deprivation/essays/ and games they will make you play you dont want anything else on your plate on the side that you could have prepared for before you left. End of story, be able to run 6 miles in boots and utes in ROUGH terrain no problem, be able to run all day in go fasters, and be ready to hike 10 or more miles while being yelled at. On that last note about hikes have atleast 50 pounds in your pack, hike on 3 hours of sleep, have almost no food in your body, and be ready to carry the stretchers and water jugs if needed. Just stay aggressive and dont let OCS tear you down and take it meal by meal at a time and GET SOME!