• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REAL ID law affecting base access

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So DOD says that non compliant state IDs and driver's licenses cannot be used for base access. How do they square the fact that my pink/red Reserve Retired ID is not compliant, but authorizes me access? So the states have to change up IDs, but the DOD doesn't? Will I be able to use my non-compliant mil ID to get past TSA?

Maybe because the military thinks it can rely on their own ID's?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe because the military thinks it can rely on their own ID's?
Obviously, they think they can. But a key goal of REAL ID was to improve the integrity of the document. My retired ID is just laminated paper. It could be adulterated pretty easily. So I just find it a bit hypocritical to say you require a state document to be more physically secure than the military one. The only reason so many of us have the old style lamented ID is cost. If you think it is necessary to demand REAL ID compliant driver's licenses for base access, then maybe you should retire the laminations and issue CACC cards.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obviously, they think they can. But a key goal of REAL ID was to improve the integrity of the document. My retired ID is just laminated paper. It could be adulterated pretty easily. So I just find it a bit hypocritical to say you require a state document to be more physically secure than the military one. The only reason so many of us have the old style lamented ID is cost. If you think it is necessary to demand REAL ID compliant driver's licenses for base access, then maybe you should retire the laminations and issue CACC cards.

I would say they can rely on them since it is all internal to the DoD, not so with state ID's. Cost is certainly a factor but reality is too, military ID's aren't used by many folks as 'primary' ID's so why should the military invest the money to make sure they can be?