• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real Estate Investing for Retirement

As I have been pursuing the dream of becoming a Naval Aviator, I have also been actively investing myself into a career that I thoroughly enjoy in case that dream never becomes a reality.

I am involved in residential real estate in the central Texas area. I think real estate can provide an excellent avenue to generate wealth and establish a very good retirement. I am currently a licensed real estate agent and sell real estate to earn an income but my plans for retirement don’t necessarily involve selling real estate for the rest of my life. My plans for retirement involve establishing a solid base of rental properties that will ultimately generate enough income to have a completely independent and free lifestyle within 20-30 years if not sooner.

The reason for this post is so that I can help introduce real estate investing to those who may not be familiar with the topic and help show why it can be an outstanding avenue to create wealth to establish a very comfortable retirement. I don’t claim to be an expert on the topic at all, but it is something I am very interested and active in.

The greatest benefit I see in real estate is the amount of returns you can EXPECT to earn off your investment. I studied Corporate Finance in college and have actively participated in stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and currencies and in my experience, none of those investment vehicles can produce the types of returns that real estate can produce with the level of security real estate provides.

The high returns in real estate are a result of the following:
· Buying the property below market value (Any time you purchase a stock, you are paying market price, unless you are an educated analyst that can recognize when a stock is priced significantly below market value)
It does take time to understand your market but there are a lot less intangibles that affect the value of real property when compared to a stock price. Often times a good buy can result in purchasing the property at 20% or more below market value.

· Tax savings and tax advantages owning real estate can provide
This will vary from state to state but things like depreciation expense and the 1031 exchange help you defer capital gains tax and allow you to compound your earnings much like an IRA or 401K

· Renters who occupy your property and provide you with monthly cash flow also pay down your mortgage and increase your equity position in the property
See next bullet

· Property appreciation
Property appreciation really comes into play when you responsibly leverage yourself into a mortgage. In his book, “The Millionaire Real Estate Investor” Gary Keller and his team of investors recommend a 20% down payment (required for investment property in Texas). For this example I will just assume that you had to pay market price for the home. Take a home with a $100,000 market value. A 20% down payment would have us financing $80,000 after an investment of $20,000. Say the property appreciated at 3.5% over say 5 years (the historic national appreciation is closer to 5%). After five years, the value of the property is roughly $119,000, and your 30 year mortgage has been paid down to about 76,000 at a 7% interest rate(rates on investment properties/non-owner occupied will be higher than normal). Now you have an equity position of roughly $43,000 and an annual return on equity of 16.5%. And remember, this example doesn’t account for the discount you should have purchased the house at or the cost to sell the house. In reality this rate of return on your equity will be a bit higher.

I have included my own person spreadsheet that analyzes all of these factors to see how they combine to bring outstanding long-term returns and immediate cash flows. Loaded in the spreadsheet is an example of a deal I just personally executed. I have got renters in it already and if you notice, my discount was less than 20% but it still ultimately gives me a healthy rate of return and good cash flows. My modified internal rate of return ends up being right at 23% annually if I sell in 5 years assuming a reinvestment rate of 3%. Even if I didn’t reinvest the positive cash flows it would be about 22%. The spreadsheet accounts for all sales expenses as well. (Although I kept them to 7% as I would get paid my commission on the sale.)

I was getting 10% annually in the markets, spending time studying companies and other investment vehicles. I am also not a stock analyst. Either way, I still wouldn’t achieve the types of returns real estate can. Typically it is accepted that there are 3 parts to an investment, Liquidity, Rate of Return, and Risk. In the markets you trade risk for a high rate of return and a high level of liquidity. In real estate you trade liquidity for a high rate of return and low risk. Now I will say that this is nowhere near as liquid as the more traditional investment vehicles but it does provide a very healthy rate of return for those who can afford to have money tied up for the long term. Risk in this case is minimized with time and purchasing below market price.

A couple of things consider when review the spreadsheet:
*You will notice that over time, your ROE goes down and at a certain point; you should either sell in a 1031 exchange or refinance to pull out some equity to reinvest and defer taxes on the capital gains, in order to maximize your returns by keeping yourself properly leveraged.
*Cash on Equity Return at the end of the investment represents how much equity you actually capture from your investment after selling expenses.
*Cash on cash return is the immediate cash return I get on my investment. It doesn't take equity build up into consideration.

I hope someone learns something from this. Throughout college, even studying finance, we didn’t really talk about real estate as an avenue for wealth building and I find that it can be a very good alternative to traditional retirement investing. It does take a little more work than just putting your money in a mutual fund but over time it can pay off big. If you have any questions or criticisms I would be happy to hear them.

I couldn't attatch it like I wanted to so I uploaded it to 2shared file hosting. Here it is if you care to see it. It is the .xlsx version: http://www.2shared.com/file/W_F1M2zP/Rental_Analysis.html

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Ok...Firstly, this is not a financial forum. Take it here if you want serious input on this.

Secondly, as a naval aviator you're not going to have the time or resources to manage your real estate empire or find these 20% discounts you're expecting.

Although I would love to pick apart your...whatever it is you posted...I just don't feel like this is the appropriate place.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Did we not have a long thread a couple years back that was strictly stock market speculation? I fail to see how this is any different? He's not selling anything (here on AW) and if you're not interested ignore it. However, many of us that have been around here for a few years are looking at career changes in the near future. I don't know jack about real-estate, but I find it fascinating the different things people are involved in.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Secondly, as a naval aviator you're not going to have the time or resources to manage your real estate empire or find these 20% discounts you're expecting.

Although I would love to pick apart your...whatever it is you posted...I just don't feel like this is the appropriate place.

The key to the time issue is networking and developing good working relationships with reliable people so you can use their time to manage your stuff. As for the resources, you can definitely cover the costs if you are smart about it, use VA benefits on your place, and have not popped out 6 kids by the time you make 0-3. Im not saying this is you; but I am always pissed at the the people who say don't buy a house/houses, but they are willing to blindly throw their money into TSP so the Gov can manage it or into some mutual fund that will cost nearly a million in fees over the course of their life. Real estate when done correctly is a far more sane investment than most in my opinion.

I also agree with boomers post.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The key to the time issue is networking and developing good working relationships with reliable people so you can use their time to manage your stuff. As for the resources, you can definitely cover the costs if you are smart about it, use VA benefits on your place, and have not popped out 6 kids by the time you make 0-3. Im not saying this is you; but I am always pissed at the the people who say don't buy a house/houses, but they are willing to blindly throw their money into TSP so the Gov can manage it or into some mutual fund that will cost nearly a million in fees over the course of their life. Real estate when done correctly is a far more sane investment than most in my opinion.

I also agree with boomers post.

TSP isn't amazing as far as the funds go - but you get the tax benefits and don't get crushed by fees and can roll it into an IRA when you get out. Well worth the effort.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I'll bite.

So when buying stocks you're paying market value unless you have the time and knowledge......but houses are different? You assume a steady rental income, and you make a pretty bold assumption in your document that you'll get $1250 rent for a $134k house. By comparison, the half million condo I'm looking to rent goes for $2400 monthly, furnished. The $1.25 million penthouse, $5k/mo.

You need to consider the health of the rental market and the rent/buy ratio. The usual rule of thumb is, considering the purchase price divided by the annual rent, the breakpoint is about 20 to buy versus rent. Your example ratio of 8 or so is an outlier. Great that you can get it, but so would have been investing in Apple 10 years ago. You can't base financial advice on best case scenarios. What if you could only get $750/mo in rent? There go your ungodly returns. HPR ratios from around the country:
HPR_HousingPrice.jpg

The historic real growth in housing prices is not much different from the rate of inflation, and is certainly not a low-risk guarantee. The notion that housing is a low-risk investment is a dangerous fallacy that many homeowners can attest to.
RealHousingPrices_1890_2010_log.png

The main tax advantage (and intangible advantages) are from a house you're using as your primary residence. Good luck (honestly) catching the 45 day window for a 1031 exchange while you're on a good deal TDY you got 24 hours to pack for.

Besides, as an investment, there's three main problems with housing as an investment. It's illiquid, so you can't pull your money out quick if prices start to tank or you want to jump on an opportunity (or immediate cash need) elsewhere. It's highly leveraged, making you hostage to price fluctuations. And for the young investor, it'll likely be a significant portion of their savings, meaning you are not diversified, and again, hostage to the fate of this one giant investment. All those homeowners trapped in an upside-down mortgage are there precisely because of these three factors.

If you understand these risks, more power to you. It can certainly be done right, just like stocks can be done right. For people without the desire to invest as a part-time job, the TSP is certainly a safe and low-fee alternative.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's highly leveraged, .

Therein lies all the advantages and disadvantages of housing as an investment. It's a poor man's way of being able to leverage a 20% stake (or less) into getting a several hundred-thousand dollar asset. That's why some people have scored huge in real estate, and why millions of other people in this country are sitting around with sore asses after getting ass-raped on homes that are now severely underwater. If you're smart and invest your time in researching it, you can make good, steady, long-term income. Of course, the same is true about stocks and bonds.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
And if you're willing to put in the time, you can get that kind of leverage (and the same risk/rewards) with options and other derivatives.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
And if you're willing to put in the time, you can get that kind of leverage (and the same risk/rewards) with options and other derivatives.

Good luck trading the options market in your spare time and finding any money left on the table after the guys (and more importantly, algorithms) at Goldman, Bridgewater, etc are done.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Maybe, but can I live in those options?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Like the real estate discussed above, the options are also a great way to leverage investments with minimal risk if done smartly. They are not hard to use, but if you try to jump in with little to no knowledge you will get burned by the pros. I have used options in situations where I could not afford 100 shares of a given stock. For example when apple was trading at 280 I could not afford $28000 for 100 shares, but I could afford the option contract to control 100 shares for the next 3 months. The contract was worth 6k. When apple went to 300 the contract was worth roughly 8K. That was a 33% return on 6k in a short period of time. If I would have used $28,000 to purchase 100 shares to achieve that same 2k return I would have only achieved a 7.1% return on my investment. The risk is that you are essentially controlling not owning 100 shares so if the stock goes down a dollar you could be losing 100 or more in value of the contract. This was a very simplistic explanation of how I used them, but I had a certain method to picking the correct contracts. I didn't seek out the cheapest contract, but I did seek out the contract that most closely mirrored the intrinsic value and price movement of the stock. If this stuff intrests you the CBOE website offers some free courses. Long story short, if you pick the wrong ones you can loose your shiry quickly.