• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reading METAR

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
Does "CLR" in the below example mean there is an unlimited ceiling?
METAR KLUK 041553Z 29017G20KT 10SM CLR 11/M02 A3009

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me see if I can pull this out of my ass... CLR I believe is an automated report meaning clear to 12,000 feet. Or is that SKC? I can never remembmer...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Fly Navy is right.

"Cloud amount, height and type: SKy Clear 0/8, FEW >0/8-2/8, SCaTtered 3/8-4/8, BroKeN 5/8-7/8, OVerCast 8/8; 3-digit height in hundreds of ft; Towering CUmulus or CumulonimBus in METAR; in TAF, only CB. Vertical Visibility for obscured sky and height "VV004". More than 1 layer may be reported or forecast. In automated METAR reports only, CLeaR for "clear below 12,000 feet"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Give me a break! Why do we have to know all the stupid contractions in the first place. In the old days, when I had to hand prop a plane to take a lesson, there was a reason for the contractions. It was driven by the communications technology of the day. But these days there is plenty of high speed high bandwidth comms for weather transmissions. If the AP can send a 3000 word news article from the mountains of Afganistan to New York then we shouldn't have to be guessing how to read the weather.

Maybe we should just have the AP reporter send the weather report in long hand with his news. Oh wait...Associated Press...wouldnt be accurate enough.

port_tack

wink said:
Why do we have to know all the stupid contractions in the first place.

It's all about ego. People who have memorized the 3 billion abbreviations can feel good about themselves whenever they see some poor sap struggling to makes sense of the thing.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
wink said:
Give me a break! Why do we have to know all the stupid contractions in the first place.
Blame the French. When ICAO dicided English would be the international aviation language the French had a fit. They threw them METARs and TAFs as a bone.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
port_tack said:
It's all about ego. People who have memorized the 3 billion abbreviations can feel good about themselves whenever they see some poor sap struggling to makes sense of the thing.

As with many other aspects of aviation training, doing things the way they were done 30 years ago is said to develop "solid fundamentals." :icon_tong

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
Blame the French. When ICAO dicided English would be the international aviation language the French had a fit. They threw them METARs and TAFs as a bone.
Hence "BR" for mist (brouillard).

Brett

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
nittany03 said:
As with many other aspects of aviation training, doing things the way they were done 30 years ago is said to develop "solid fundamentals." :icon_tong

don't knock the old salts in the sim building. some of them can actually help you!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Hence "BR" for mist (brouillard).

Brett
Or as my IFS instructor remembered it, "baby rain."

And funny that KLUK should be your choice, I just flew in there yesterday. Very scenic airport.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
nittany03 said:
And funny that KLUK should be your choice, I just flew in there yesterday. Very scenic airport.
I'll be there tomorrow for MCFOP
edit: I'll be at KLOT here in IL

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Squid said:
don't knock the old salts in the sim building. some of them can actually help you!

I can think of one I'd like to knock...knock the hell out! Glad I don't have to deal with those guys anymore. Now I get to deal with a brand new set of dudes! <jazz hands>

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Or as my IFS instructor remembered it, "baby rain."

That's how I always learned it. Even today, when I see it on the screen, I'll say "baby rain" instead of mist, knowing that means mist...at least to me.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
That's how I always learned it. Even today, when I see it on the screen, I'll say "baby rain" instead of mist, knowing that means mist...at least to me.

I still say "wednesday" as "wed-nes-day" when I'm writing it out. How I learned to spell it as a kid and it sticks to this day.