• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reaching For The Loud Handle

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I am absolutely floored at the warm reception I received when I joined the forum. Thanks. :icon_mi_1 I was wondering, has anyone here ever had to eject from an aircraft? If so, what's it like?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never had to eject in my currently very short ejection-seat-riding career, but it is comforting to have it there. Now, the thought of landing a plane in the trees (ala Cessna) sounds scary, when before it was the only way lol

phrogpilot73

Not all aircraft have ejection seats...

AllAmerican75 said:
I am absolutely floored at the warm reception I received when I joined the forum. Thanks. :icon_mi_1 I was wondering, has anyone here ever had to eject from an aircraft? If so, what's it like?

I've never flown an aircraft with an ejection seat, and I hope I never do. I enjoy the assault support mission "hauling ass and trash". The biggest smiles you get are when you're pulling grunts out of the field, or showing up with an aircraft full of mail. If I could eject and did, I'd be abandoning those guys in back when they need me most.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
If I could eject and did, I'd be abandoning those guys in back when they need me most.

That's the whole idea behind it though, you all get the hell out of dodge.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not that it matters ..... but I've wished (while we're wishing) that the 747 had an ejection seat. We're SOL in that bird if you can't bring her home.

Parachutes were considered in the past ... but the passengers just didn't stay distracted for very long as the crew strolled toward the door, parachutes on, smiling and casually looking at the overhead while whistling a little tune .... :)

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
SteveG75 said:
OK, here is my dip story (actually not mine but a guy in my first squadron).

A-6 Intruder midair. Persian Gulf. 8 Sep 1993. Everyone ejected OK.

B/N of the second aircraft ejects at about 12k'. Gets a good chute. Does his IROK procedures (for you young pups, that is Inflate LPU, Release Raft, Options (mask, visor, gloves), and locate Koch fittings).

He is now down to about 8000', so he pulls out the PRC-90 survival radio and makes a few Mayday calls.

At about 5000', he realizes that the wad of dip he has in is getting stale so he spits it out, reaches into his shoulder pocket, gets the can out and inserts a nice fresh wad.

That was my dip story from another thread. What I negelected to mention is that I was the B/N in the other jet. :eek:

I remember a bang/crunch and then trying to reach the lower handle. We had one of three jets in the squadron with command eject at that time and my pilot remebers pulling so I am assuming he got us out. Next thing I remember is the helicopter overhead. Lost my helmet and mask, FLU-8 automatically inflated my life preserver and SEAWARS automatically cut my chute loose. :eek:

Yes, I consider myself very lucky. I was 3 months into my first fleet tour.

BTW: That was my first class A. Here is a pic of the second (tailpipe came apart while in tension on the cat).
a6500.jpg

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
SteveG75 said:
(tailpipe came apart while in tension on the cat).

I can't say I know all the specifics that entails, but I know I don't want it to ever happen to me. My day is much better for the simple fact that nothing I own/ride in came apart in tension. Wow.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ryoukai said:
My day is much better for the simple fact that nothing I own/ride in came apart in tension. Wow.

That's good. Of course you kind of have to be a carrier aviator/tailhooker to have your ride have issues while in tension :icon_wink

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Never had to eject in my currently very short ejection-seat-riding career, but it is comforting to have it there. Now, the thought of landing a plane in the trees (ala Cessna) sounds scary, when before it was the only way lol

Hmm . . . still making up my mind about that. If I eject, I get blown out of my safe metal cage and possibly end up screaming towards the ground with one or more broken limbs, not to mention the back issues. And possibly blinded if I've been dumb enough to leave my visor open. And let's hope the MDC works, too. What with all the horrible descriptions of what can go wrong if you're not positioned perfectly and strapped in just right, I'm still trying to sell myself on that little handle. Granted, given NATOPS, I have no choice.

Scab

pilot
Punched out of a prowler two years ago this Wednesday. long story short...
4 minutes after cat shot in Persian Gulf, right engine blew uo, knocked out other engine, bled out all hydraulics, filled cockpit with smoke, lit up half my fire/temp lights...
After doing a wipe out with the stick and getting no response (hyds bled out) I told the crew, "Jet's not gonna make it, it's time to get out......eject, eject, eject."

On the t of the third eject call I heard ECMO three's seat leave (Prowler ejection sequence E-3 (no delay), E-2, E-1, Pilot with .4 sec delay...pilot has 1.2 sec delay after handle pulled)

Serious temporal distortion after that. Heard E-2 leave, Tried to take mental snapshot of gauges for the inevitable investigation (6,300', 280kias, 10-11 degree left wing down, 4-5 degree nose down), heard and felt E-1 leave...could feel the exhaust of his rocket on my face. Then I was in the jet all by myself. Managed to get several complete thoughts through my brain...this is gonna hurt, this is gonna hurt, don't look down (more than one Pilot has hurt his neck looking down during the time distortion to see if they had pulled the handle), this is gonna hurt and then finally my seat fired.

My vision went immediately black, but I could feel my feet being retracted as my seat went up the rail. My head got cut up pretty badly going through the canopy (helmet got blown back once it hit windstream), and I remember a tumbling sensation and then chute opened and my vision came back. I was looking up at the other three memebers of my crew and they were all moving. When I looked to the left I was a couple hunudred yards above and behind a fireball of a jet that I was very happy to no longer be in. I decided to forgo the IROK procedures for 30 seconds or so while I watched the plane/fireball crash into the gulf (almost like something out of a movie).

Several items in/on my vest didn't quite work as advertised, but to finish up the long story short...back on the carrier 36 minutes after taking the cat shot missing one important landing in my logbook...

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Scab said:
Punched out of a prowler two years ago this Wednesday. long story short...
4 minutes after cat shot in Persian Gulf, right engine blew uo, knocked out other engine, bled out all hydraulics, filled cockpit with smoke, lit up half my fire/temp lights...
You were in the same crew as Peepers weren't you? We work together at the same...office.

Scab

pilot
RetreadRand said:
Damn...what were the results of the investigation...if they have been released.

We don't get chutes or ejection seats
Investigation's complete. Can't go into much detail on this medium: catastrophic engine failure.

Buy me a beer someday and I can go into the long version.

scab

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Scab said:
Yep, Peepers was E-3. How's he doin?
What can I say...he's Peepers. He's doing well here, making a name for himself. There's so few of us (NFOs) that we stick out more than the others. Not a bad thing. Just a target-rich environment to bag on blackshoes (sorry Steve).