• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-taking ASTB & Re-doing Officer Application?

8WOOD

For reference my ASVAB scores were all in the low 90's (took while I was in high school in 2001 when the highest score you could get was a 99) my ASTB was 7/8/7.

Same for me. I just took the ASVAB and got a 93 then took the ASTB and passed; however, I didn't do as well as i wanted on the ASTB. The math killed me for some reason that day-- but I got a 6/6/6.

The only difference between ASVAB Math/Verbal is the time alloted. On the asvab you have more than a minute for each problem. On the ASTB you have like 30-40 seconds.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I guess you just need to remember that it's like the ACT, you don't get dinged for wrong answers, just blank answers, so make sure something is filled in. Also, Don't try and freak out and rush through it, you might miss something, especially on the reading stuff because man, were those answers vague.

Oh and try not to go cross-eyed during the spatial appreciation sections ;)

And everyone here is right, if you had over a 90 on your ASVAB then you'll do fine on the ASTB.

Also, to answer someone's question, yes the ASVAB is starting to become a required test in high school (at least here in South Dakota also). High School students take it their junior year.

And since everyone here is posting their scores here's mine

ASVAB 91
ASTB 9/9/8

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...Also, to answer someone's question, yes the ASVAB is starting to become a required test in high school (at least here in South Dakota also). High School students take it their junior year...

Thats interesting. I did not know that. Good scores by the way

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Thanks, and I don't know, it might be worth it to start another thread to see if other states have the same policy..

Probably all around the US you have to take it, unless you're from like the Berkley CA area...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...it might be worth it to start another thread...

Oh we've evolved from that. We dont start new threads. We just discuss. And if its stupid we get yelled at for being off topic. It ifs good it gets shaved off and given its own record contract. If it is better than the original topic, the thread name is just changed and we pretend the original question was never asked. Until 2.5 years from now when someone with 2 posts decides to answer the question. :D

/jack

Joking (sort of).

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Not mandatory in Cali yet - at least not around these parts (the Bay). In fact, I don't even remember it being offered to us in high school. Of course that was some years ago... and I wasn't necessarily on the lookout for it.

Great scores man!

Wow, ok, ALL timed. Study, hustle, study, hustle. Yeah, somehow even simple mathematics become complicated when it is known there is a constantly decreasing time factor...

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Ah - no, I haven't taken it yet. I'm studying for it these days. Except I keep finding myself hanging out on airwarriors now instead of studying like I need to be! :eek:

BullGator

Ah - no, I haven't taken it yet. I'm studying for it these days. Except I keep finding myself hanging out on airwarriors now instead of studying like I need to be! :eek:
Get back to the books! AW will be here and it will even let you know everything you missed (unread posts). If you have the time to do so, just read the posts on the ASTB in the mean time; you could probably do that in 10min/day or less. Good luck.

femaviator

Retake?

Hi I had taken the ASTB over a month ago for the first time. I was not aware of the content and how difficult it was and studied for only a week when I knew next to nothing about aviation or the navy before. I got a 3 3 3 46 the first time so I did poorly. Now I have studied since then and made a lot of index cards and I used both the ARCO and BARRONS. On the 12 subtests total I got 10 A's and 1 B and 1 high C on them. I think I am ready and plan on taking it next tuesday but is that a good sign, doing that well on the subtests?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Sounds like you've put a lot of work in to it, all the memorization will help you when it comes to timed "spew it out" questions.

Just make sure you've got the basics down for all the mathematics and stuff.

Also, are you timing your practice tests?

It's probably the most beneficial thing you can do, getting yourself into a rhythm.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!