• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-taking ASTB & Re-doing Officer Application?

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
I'm at the very beginning stages of my life with the Navy (just went through MEPS)... and wondering:

Do you have to re-take the ASTB every time you apply to be an Officer?

Also, thank you everyone who has posted on this site. It is indeed informative, not to mention entertaining.

MidWestEwo

None
I'm at the very beginning stages of my life with the Navy (just went through MEPS)... and wondering:

Do you have to re-take the ASTB every time you apply to be an Officer?

Also, thank you everyone who has posted on this site. It is indeed informative, not to mention entertaining.

You don't have to retake the test every time unless you want to strengthen your score. You can only take the test three times in your life though, so make them count.

BullGator

And your scores on the last time you took the ASTB are the ones that they use (e.g. not your best score but your latest). I believe that your ASTB scores are good for your entire life time, for what it's worth.

smulet

How long ago did you take it? I first took it in 2003. They have updated it since then.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
ASTB vs. ASVAB

Can anyone who has taken both the ASTB and the ASVAB describe their similarities and differences in any of the sections they share? Math, words, mechanics, etc... I imagine it's generally a more difficult test - how much so?

Thanks!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The ASVAB is the test that is used for enlistment into the armed forces. It checks that you have simple math/english abilities and some other random stuff. The ASVAB is quite simple, anyone who fails that should seek employment at McDonalds. The ASTB is significantly more difficult, it also encompasses much more. There is plenty of gouge here that you can take a look at for detailed information on what is involved with the exam.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
The ASVAB is the test that is used for enlistment into the armed forces. It checks that you have simple math/english abilities and some other random stuff. The ASVAB is quite simple, anyone who fails that should seek employment at McDonalds. The ASTB is significantly more difficult, it also encompasses much more. There is plenty of gouge here that you can take a look at for detailed information on what is involved with the exam.

I suspected my ballooning ego was getting dangerously large from doing well on the ASVAB (it was ... *pop*). Thanks for setting me straight!

Yeah, I've been browsing around a little. Lots of tidbits all over, acronyms I keep having to look up :eek: - piecing all the goodies together though. Great stuff. It gets me all the more excited to be part of the Navy (just took my Oath a few days ago! woohoo!), and even more excited to apply to be an Officer! :D

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
What I found with the ASVAB is that it seemed to have more mechanical knowledge questions on it while the ASTB was definatly geared toward flight (I wonder why?..). All in all though, I got the feeling from the ASVAB as more of a really broad "what should this guy do?" kind of test while the ASTB was more of a "should we let this guy do this?" test.

With a lil bit of studying you can do well on the ASTB, and if not, then you got two more chances.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
I've taken both, if you did well on the ASVAB you should do well on the ASTB. The ASTB is not that much more "difficult" but you will have to study for the pilot/nav section if you have zero stick time. If you scored above a 90 on the ASVAB you should be set. For reference my ASVAB scores were all in the low 90's (took while I was in high school in 2001 when the highest score you could get was a 99) my ASTB was 7/8/7.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I've taken both, if you did well on the ASVAB you should do well on the ASTB. The ASTB is not that much more "difficult" but you will have to study for the pilot/nav section if you have zero stick time. If you scored above a 90 on the ASVAB you should be set. For reference my ASVAB scores were all in the low 90's (took while I was in high school in 2001 when the highest score you could get was a 99) my ASTB was 7/8/7.

You and me both. I took it back when I first decided I was interested in serving, just to see what it was like. I got a 90 something on the ASVAB and a 778 on the ASTB.

Seriously though, you only get 3 shots, but if you study well and take it as seriously as it deserves, you shouldn't worry about it more then you need to to motivate yourself.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Maybe I am retarded (probably) but I thought the ASTB was a good bit harder than the ASVAB...I got a 99 on the ASVAB and a 5/5/5 58 on the ASTB/OAR...of course, I WAS an Animal Science major...that enginerd shit escapes me...and all of the pictures of the cockpit window with different angles of bank...

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Maybe I am retarded (probably) but I thought the ASTB was a good bit harder than the ASVAB...I got a 99 on the ASVAB and a 5/5/5 58 on the ASTB/OAR...of course, I WAS an Animal Science major...that enginerd shit escapes me...and all of the pictures of the cockpit window with different angles of bank...

Idk, I think I remember somewhere reading that a 58 put you in the 90 something percentile for the OAR, so I'd keep that in mind and say you probably deserve congrats for that.
And yeah, Econ/Poli Sci meant I had to get reallllly intimate with that ARCO book.

Edit: Of course, having just checked your profile and seen that you'd done prior service, gone through OCS and are now winged, I suppose you didn't need the reassurance...

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Nice... fabulous advice guys. Thanks much! Yeah, I pulled a 95 on the ASVAB... I think my highest scores were mechanical too, now that you mention it. I'm in ground school now (taking a rare lesson in the sky when I scrounge up enough dough... two official hours up there so far, look out!) so I've got the Jeppesen pack handy for studying me arse off! Sounds like it's in my (and the Navy's) best interest if I focus on the good ol' av stuff for now. Darn... you mean I have to read more about the very information my life (and my aircrafts' lives, and carrier's life, and other Officers' lives and....) will someday depend on? :D

Oh man, so many people gripe about the artificial horizon questions and cartoon airplane attitude questions, I'll definitely be honing my skills on those. Is that section timed too? Welll.... better get off the forums and dive in!

nugget61

pilot
To put it simply, its the difference between a high school test and a college test. Bit of a thread jack, but don't all younger folk have to take the ASVAB in high school? I know they do in KY.
Back to topic, the ASTB wasn't hard, but its not to be blown off either. Just review the study material (such as any of the books suggested in the stickies under the astb section) and go from there.
It is indeed timed (all sections) and I felt that getting all of the questions answered in the allotted time was more difficult than the actual material.