• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

? Re: Swearing in & Contract

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I was told by my recruiter that I have gotten my "Final Select" status and that I need to schedule a time to swear in and sign the dotted line. I haven't received my letter, but I understand from reading around here that the letter is a formality and it may come some time later.

My question is this. Would I be out of line by asking to take my contract/paperwork home for a couple of days to fully comprehend everything I am signing? I want to be completely clear of how everything works rather than showing up and signing everything blindly.

Do people do this? What documents will there be to sign, and what am I classified as between now and October when I report to OCS? (Other than "FNG")

Thanks in advance.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely not! Take it home, chew it. Go over it with a fine-toothed comb. I did. Classification is iffy, I'm not sure what exactly we are until October, but that doesn't really matter because we're not getting paid!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I pretty much skimmed and signed there, but I don't see why there would be a problem with making sure you know what you're getting into. When I was there they explained what each form was before I signed it, so you may not feel the need.

If I were enlisting as an E-1 as opposed to BDCP, I would probably be a lot more careful with what I signed.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Tyler, my recruiter sent me the contract by e-mail attachment for my reference. He actually did it without me asking to see it, telling me to look it all over and make sure everything's correct in order to streamline the process. Nobody is trying to screw you; just make sure everything's right before you sign it.

schwarti

Contributor
You'll be an OC2UO. I don't know what the UO is, but you're an E-5 Officer Candidate, therefore, OC2. It doesn't really matter until you get to OCS like JT says, but my junior enlisted friends find it pretty funny.

If you want to take your contract home and read it first, go for it - but let your recruiter know before you show up that you want that extra time.

And congrats!

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys. I think I'll ask for it by email a day or two before I go up there. Yeah, I'm sure they're not trying to screw me, but I want to know what happens in a few "what-if" scenarios.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's a good idea to READ and make sure that it says SNA, read the obligation and all the important stuff. My recruiter POINTED OUT that important stuff when I signed it to confirm all the goodies. I signed on the spot. But if you want, ask your recruiter for it beforehand and read it over! What's he gonna say? "NO!"

Josh

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
Is it off base to ask for copies of everything you sign? Some organizations will ask for verification of enlistment/OCS contract such as USAA.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Is it off base to ask for copies of everything you sign? Some organizations will ask for verification of enlistment/OCS contract such as USAA.
I was given copies without asking. And yeah, it's important to have for a bunch of reasons. If they don't offer anything, I'd ask.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
In an email before signing my contract I noticed my graduation date from college was off by a year! Definitely important to read the fine print. I let my recruiter and processor know and the promptly fixed it for me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You WILL have copies of all your stuff in your enlistment record, which you will see at OCS and take home after you commission (since you'll then be starting your officer record). If you need these documents (and I recommend it- always safe to have copies of your service record just like medical/dental files), just ask for em. I'm sure your recruiter won't mind the couple cents it cost to copy em.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
When you go the enlisted side of things the processor actually has to walk you through every page you sign. Then when you are done with the Navy processor they send you over to the other side of the building at the MEPS center where a civilian processor goes over every page with you again and makes sure you understand what you are signing. They do this so you can't turn around and say "No one told me that!" or "I was coerced into signing by force"...blah blah blah.

I'm planning on heading down to my recruiter this Friday and signing on the dotted line! Does anyone know if we get back pay once we graduate from OCS? By back pay I mean, the difference between E-5 pay and O-1 pay for the time we were at OCS.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Not sure if I follow you exactly, but here's how it works. If you're in BDCP, you'll get back pay from the day you sign the contract for E-3. Usually takes a month or two to get the in the pay system. Your first check is nice and big.

Now if you contract in OCS (also known as guys/gals off the street) you don't start getting paid until you report in. Again it takes a month or two to start getting pay, but you'll get a nice big check with back pay at E-5. As for getting back pay once commission, why would it make any sense to pay people at O-1 for a period when they are an E-5. Doesn't make any sense at all. So no, you do not get back pay.

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
When I signed my recruiter went through every page with me, explained the jargon, let me read what I needed to, and pointed out the big things. You're perfectly within rights to read your contract before committing.

One important thing I can't stress enough is ask for copies of everything - the accountability starts here. From now on, YOU are responsible for maintaining all your records and files - don't depend on PSD/Navy admin to do it all. I got copies of every piece of paper I put my pen to. It's not wrong or improper of you to do so and your recruiter will/should oblige. Start a file now and everything official that goes on between you and the Navy from now into eternity, keep track of it. One small thing can cause a snafu later, and you'll be happy you had it!

Two important things I learned you want to have for sure, is a copy of your stamped orders when you check into OCS. This proves your date of commencement of Active Duty - sounds minute? It's really important later if PSD messes up. I had Tricare refuse to pay medical bills for an ER visit because PSD put the wrong date in for when I started service.

The other is your shot record! In fact, copy your entire medical record before you go! Don't let the pages in the that folder you turn in be the only ones you have! If your medical record gets lost or misplaced (which happens at OTCN frequently), you will have to get ALL your shots redone and those MEPS and flight physical forms are a pain in the ass to get again.

You also might want to hang onto a copy of your shot record and page 2 when you hit OTCN to save you from having to fill it out (the page 2) again. Not sure about OCS but medical will sometimes let you skip the shots that you've already had. Remember: in medical we always say "If it isn't documented, it wasn't done."

Good luck!