• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Range Pack/bag

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have a great regular range bag (actually two). I've been very happy with my Midway Compact bag(s) for going to a normal range. However, for going out to the dessert to shoot or for possibly a class (I'm scheduled for a Magpul class in a few months), I've been looking for a back pack that has a couple of compartments that can hold the various things you'd have in a range bag without banging around on top of each other.

I looked at T.H.E. Pack in the exchange and it looks nice, although pricey. I've also been eying an Eagle A-III Assault pack http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle-AIII-Assault-Pack-p/eag.552.htm (with or without Molle). The Molle version is about the same price and it either one looks like it has a few compartments. I've been impressed with Eagle stuff.

So, anyone have any thoughts?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've taken the Eagle 3 day on some...er, desert shooting excursions, shall we say? It's held up well, although it took me about a week to vacuum, hose, scrape the dust off of it after my last trip to Afghanistan. Nothing seems to take the shitter blood/hyd fluid off, though, and I get a few odd looks on account of the scorch marks on it. I will say that, although it's a great all round light capacity pack, there's not much in the way of organization inside it. (It's just a big open space inside, and that pouch is for a hydration bladder.) To counter that, I use Kifaru accessory pouches, one on the MOLLE on either side, one on the back, and a few organizational hangers inside. It's worked well enough for me that I used it twice over there, and the pack goes with me to the gym, road trips, etc. Obviously, I have the MOLLE version, vice the slick one, and it's worth it, IMO.

If you're looking for something to do a bit of hiking with a long gun--and you have the coin--you could check into both Eberlestock or Kifaru packs, both of which produce stuff made for toting long guns over long distances. They're not cheap, and the Eberlestock packs are probably a bit overkill if you're just day hiking. The larger Kifaru packs are all custom made, and cost like it. But in general, their stuff is top notch. I've used their Woobie and Doobie for a few years now, and they kick the living shit out of any issue poncho liner I've owned. Their stuff is well made, their customer service is some of the best.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
dessert and shooting? Nothing goes with second amendment rights like pie.

Sadly, it's about the only cool thing about shooting in CA. Plus it's a bit of a drive. That said, it's pretty sweet to be surrounded by tall hills and nothing around and trying to hit steel a few hundred yards away.

@gaijin,

I've looked at the Eberlestock stuff and I like it, but agree it's a little bit over-kill. This is mostly so that I can have some ammo, mags and small range stuff on my back, a rifle (or two) slung, and then so I can carry out a target...usually not more than a hundred yards or so from the car, but far enough it's a pain to keep making multiple trips.

Organization was my concern with the Eagle, and I had looked at some of those pouches to help, but then you're spending more on the setup instead of going with a Spec Ops or 5.11 pack like Pags has. Still, Eagle is nice stuff. Do you have a link to the hangars you were talking about?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
dessert and shooting? Nothing goes with second amendment rights like pie.

I have a 5.11 rush 24 pack as a kick bag that I really like. Http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack.html

It had a lot more compartments than the Blackhawks assault pack at the mcx. If money is no option look into gorucks stuff.

I have a few 5.11 tactical products and I love them. Solid construction and thoughtful design. The only thing I dont like is the price.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, okay. Yeah, been looking through there already. I thought you meant a light-weight "structure" (for lack of a better word). But yeah, those look nice, although I can't really tell if the Eagle has PALS inside.

I may just pull the trigger on the Eagle, as SKD has an "everything is on sale" sale and it looks like the Eagle A IIIs are going fast.