• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random OCS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Talk to your class officer when you get there, they'll arrange things. If you've got an O-7 or better the bust out the cannons, and those are WAY cool.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
PropStop said:
Talk to your class officer when you get there, they'll arrange things. If you've got an O-7 or better the bust out the cannons, and those are WAY cool.

Thanks for the info! My brother works directly under a Vice Admiral in his job and he told me that he could get him to come if I wanted. I hadn't thought about it but maybe I should do it for the cannons....lol.

EngineGirl

tali264

you can also have them speak at your graduation. Although if someone has a dad who's an O-6 or something, he'll probably get the spot

Sabre170

None
Enginegirl,

Can you recommend any navigation books for me to read prior to OCS? I don't know anything about navigation or even basic seamanship.

kappu411

Naval Aviator
I was at ocs during ash wednesday, and they allowed all candidates that requested to go to evening mass to recieve ashes, also dont even worry about nav, it is mostly just how well you can memorize things under ocs pressure. and you can bring all the books you want , just leave them in yur car, or in the bag they allow you to lock up and go to once and a while, no maxim's of course. i would leave em in the car, they will let u take it in, but you may be hammered a little. btw , i spent 8 months at ocs let me know if u have any more questions..

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Sabre170 said:
Enginegirl,

Can you recommend any navigation books for me to read prior to OCS? I don't know anything about navigation or even basic seamanship.

HaHa...do I have books for you...i made an A in seaminship 1 and 2, lifeboatman, T-nav, Merchant Marine Officer, radar arpa, Steam propulsion plants, diesels 1 and 2, and am making a B in Nuc.....so I have massive amounts of books. We'll get togehter before OCS and go over them :) I'll give you some good ones.

tali264

oh geeze....don't waste your time studying navigation ahead of time. If you have extra time....spend it running or memorizing the big 4. That's what's going to help you. All the classes are easy - certainly nothing to stress over.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
tali264 said:
oh geeze....don't waste your time studying navigation ahead of time. If you have extra time....spend it running or memorizing the big 4. That's what's going to help you. All the classes are easy - certainly nothing to stress over.

I'm a nerd, what can I say?

speedgirl

tali264

what do u mean by the big 4?

anyone else have any suggestions on what to do, other than PT, before OCS?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Big 4 (in no particular order):

General Orders of a sentry
Code of Conduct
Chain of command
Officer/Enlisted Rank Structure and insignia for the USN and USMC

Honestly, PT like hell, and know your knowledge (big 4). Everything else will fall into place after you're there.

spidie

Applying for CEC, USMC
tali264 If you have extra time....spend it running or memorizing the big 4. That's what's going to help you. [/QUOTE said:
I'm just finishing my application and don't know what to memorize before. Also sounds like most people have prior Navy Officers that they know or are related to is there knowledge I need before going that they can usually pass along? All the people I know are or were Marine Gropo enlisted (they called themselves that so I don't insult any Marines) so I know some stuff along those lines should I study up on anything before attending? Any help would be nice thanks.

tali264

I didn't know any officers, nor am I related to any. First...worry about the application. Once you get in...then start worrying about what to memorize. I tried to learn as much about OCS as possible before I went too, so I know where you're coming from. The unknown is always the worst for me. But there's nothing difficult about it. As long as you play the game and just go with the flow you'll do fine. Yeah, things suck while you're there, but it's made so everybody can get through if they want to. No gouge or secrets required.

Status
Not open for further replies.