• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That's a lot of hangar space for one plane!
There are virtually no aircraft here. There is a reserve wing of C17s on the opposite side of the field and the E4B command post will stand alert duty here a few days per month and then there is a trickle of transient aircraft. But this base no longer hosts any active duty Air Force aircraft. So my duty airplane gets a hanger more or less all to itself haha

I will often get asked by base ops to just go up in the pattern and do touch and goes so the tower controllers can maintain their certification and get their minimum of cycles.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Facebook decided to serve me up pictures of NAS South Weymouth this morning!

415920902_10231043430649891_1992854342508834425_n.jpg

I attended NROTC MIDSHIPMAN INDOC for 3 weeks in July 1982 - my introduction to the military. This was kind of like a "Mini-NSI". GySgt Sauer and Cpl Johnson taught us to drill and PT. A month later I started NROTC as a freshman/4C Mid at NROTC MIT (Harvard, MIT, Tufts and Boston University all together).

Later after commissioning on USS Constitution, proceeded to PSD at NAS SW to receive my active duty ID and my orders to flight school. Great memories.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
When did they pull down that blimp hangar?
About 1966. From then, until it closed, NAS SW hosted a fantastic mix of fighter, attack, ASW, and helicopter squadrons - it was a true “reserve” air force that simply doesn’t exist today. But, if you need a thrill, you can visit USCG Bouy Depot located there. As an aside…nothing in the photo @ChuckMK23 provided exists anymore but I have flown the Griz-O-Copter there in a quest to land at as many former air bases as possible.

ChuckMK23

pilot
About 1966. From then, until it closed, NAS SW hosted a fantastic mix of fighter, attack, ASW, and helicopter squadrons - it was a true “reserve” air force that simply doesn’t exist today. But, if you need a thrill, you can visit USCG Bouy Depot located there. As an aside…nothing in the photo @ChuckMK23 provided exists anymore but I have flown the Griz-O-Copter there in a quest to land at as many former air bases as possible.
SH-3D, P-3C, Marine UH-1N, Marine A-4F if memory serves. My father's computer company sold a number of systems to the base in the late 70's/early 80's. As a Midshipman I received an orientation ride in a Marine UH-1N there as well.

Later at HC-6 I flew up there on a XC with an all Boston area crew and we gave orientation flights to the NROTC units of the area - including a nice scenic flight down the Charles River.

TacticalTater

None
One of the cooler logbook entries for me in general aviation was making a low approach to Kennedy space center.

You have to contact Orlando atc by phone before and they give you a date and time to perform it, then call in the air and they hand you off to Kennedy.

It's pretty cool shooting an approach to the same runway as the shuttle did. You cannot touchdown but on my approach Kennedy control said "you can get as close as you want without touching". Performed the low approach, sucked up the gear and flew the runway at 20 feet.

VMO4

Can confirm the UH-1N's, when I was in HML-767, they (HML 771) were the other east coast reserve UH-1N squadron besides us, I remember asking a guy at Stumps with them one year, where the hell is Weymouth NAS or whatever. Learning has occurred.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
SH-3D, P-3C, Marine UH-1N, Marine A-4F if memory serves. My father's computer company sold a number of systems to the base in the late 70's/early 80's. As a Midshipman I received an orientation ride in a Marine UH-1N there as well.

Later at HC-6 I flew up there on a XC with an all Boston area crew and we gave orientation flights to the NROTC units of the area - including a nice scenic flight down the Charles River.
I spent part of a weekend trying to check into the helo unit after my first tour, did not go as expected so I went back on active duty (mid 8o's). IIRC the Navy had a C130 unit there briefly before the base closed.