• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

number9

Contributor
If you added hydraulic oil to Skyline it might improve the taste. Well, it won't, but it'll make it easier for that crap to go down.. and back out!

jmcquate

Contributor
If you added hydraulic oil to Skyline it might improve the taste. Well, it won't, but it'll make it easier for that crap to go down.. and back out!
Heretic! You're doing it wrong. Never eat Skyline before 2400, without being at least 6 cocktails/10 beers in. Feast of the Gods.
GO BEARCATS!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I love Skyline! Maybe an acquired taste and I woud not have it every week - my goto is 3 x cheese Coneys with mustard and onions with a large Greek salad and a diet Dr. Pepper. In my current low carb lifestyle, I'll take half a bun off each Coney! (I've lost 25 lbs eating low carb and its been great)

A scoop of Graeters Black Raspberry Chip is the perfect dessert......

1663885059605.png

ChuckMK23

pilot
I like how the Army guys start engines with the rotor brake off. Always hated that on the '46. I was never convinced that the Navy way of using the rotor brake (starting engines with the rotor brake on, releasing brake and rapidly advancing engine controls to FLY/100% Nr) was effective in preventing a risk of excessive blade flapping. Just seemed to create more wear and tear on the transmission and engines.

jmcquate

Contributor
I love Skyline! Maybe an acquired taste and I woud not have it every week - my goto is 3 x cheese Coneys with mustard and onions with a large Greek salad and a diet Dr. Pepper. In my current low carb lifestyle, I'll take half a bun off each Coney! (I've lost 25 lbs eating low carb and its been great)

View attachment 36340
Don't forget hot sauce an oyster crackers.

number9

Contributor

View attachment 36340
Your post was complete nonsense until I read the bit about Graeter's: that stuff is the dessert of the gods. ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was never convinced that the Navy way of using the rotor brake (starting engines with the rotor brake on, releasing brake and rapidly advancing engine controls to FLY/100% Nr) was effective in preventing a risk of excessive blade flapping. Just seemed to create more wear and tear on the transmission and engines.

I guess that's why there's a no-rotor brake start procedure in NATOPS for shore starts.

The tranny isn't really an issue, but there's potential for the Np shaft (really it's the blades) to rub if done incorrectly. GE has a very simple procedure to address this that the NATOPS wizards promptly ignored and made 8 additional pages of checklist items to fill up the PCL and NATOPS.

I will say high winds and heavy rolls, and I mean heavy rolls on a small boy, not carrier "heavy rolls," are a prime reason to do a rotor brake start on the boat.

ChuckMK23

pilot
You do know the better metric is who gets paid the most to fly the least!
I'm a humble DAF GS-12 and likely make about what a second year FO does at your airline. The fact that I get to fly a new production "high performance" GA airplane all I want is a benefit. I'm not complaining. Assuming I can maintain a Second Class medical, this is my "ride into the sunset" job.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I'm a humble DAF GS-12 and likely make about what a second year FO does at your airline. The fact that I get to fly a new production "high performance" GA airplane all I want is a benefit. I'm not complaining. Assuming I can maintain a Second Class medical, this is my "ride into the sunset" job.
I looked up GS-12 pay and hope those numbers are wrong.. Our second year FOs make 200+. I’ll agree with the GA flying.. Wish I had more time to fly my RV!