• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Found one! Sure, it is a bit of a fixer-upper, but far worse have been rescued. My guess...$75 to $100K to get her looking pretty and flying. Keeping her is the air, however, is the real cost!

Not familer with the civ H-19 community, but it is fair to say there are lots more used parts and new manufacture parts out there for Hueys. I expected lots of Bell 212 and other civ parts could be used. Not so much. Some parts are very rare, like a fuel cell we have. I am sure you are not serious given the cost of operation, but your day dream restoration budget would likely be inadequate. A single used main rotor blade for a Huey with just half its hours left is over $50K. An old H-19 blade must be more. Overhaul of a Pratt R-1340 is about $50k.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not familer with the civ H-19 community, but it is fair to say there are lots more used parts and new manufacture parts out there for Hueys. I expected lots of Bell 212 and other civ parts could be used. Not so much. Some parts are very rare, like a fuel cell we have. I am sure you are not serious given the cost of operation, but your day dream restoration budget would likely be inadequate. A single used main rotor blade for a Huey with just half its hours left is over $50K. An old H-19 blade must be more. Overhaul of a Pratt R-1340 is about $50k.
Why do you hate dreams?

Really, I don’t think there is an H-19 civilian community. I based my price, very weakly, on a total rebuild of a WWII aircraft I saw during a visit to a site in Colorado. Of course actually doing something like this is well beyond my means. I am looking to buy a piston Enstrom, Hiller, or Schweitzer for my flying entertainment but I could run any of those at a fraction of the cost of a large piston (no matter how cool) or any turbine. If I had some spare lottery money or an unexpected inheritance from a long forgotten crazy rich uncle I would rather go for an H-34. Sadly, I’m all out of uncles...even those with no money.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm relieved it wasn't any of us! That whole SFRA thing is a big ol trap. Th only way I am flying to the DC/Capitol Area is IFR...

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I'm relieved it wasn't any of us! That whole SFRA thing is a big ol trap. Th only way I am flying to the DC/Capitol Area is IFR...
The SFRA isn’t hard, I fly it all the time. Take the class, follow the rules. Also, chances are, the 172 seen here is probably a CAP airplane. They fly “intruder” missions quite a lot to give the AF and CG guys something to do.

jmcquate

Contributor
DC Guard, who sits alert for that kind of stuff, fly F-16s. So it might not have been over DC.

GroundPounder

N4646X, advise when you can copy a number to call upon landing.....

I'm sure you can feel your hair greying when you look over and see an F 15 wagging his wings at you. I'm also sure that it makes for an intresting conversation at the FBO when you're dropping the keys back off.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven’t been to the hangar for a few weeks. It has been hot and the AA buddy who was going to give me my flight review had to cancel so I can’t fly anyway. The pictures of the fine flying you guys have been doing, and going through lots of old photos of my youthful flying, made me want to just commune with the old girl, even if I couldn’t fly. So when Mrs Wink got up today at 0430 for Pilates before work, I shot down to the airport before it got too hot.

After pulling open the doors I went straight the Goodwill sourced CD player ampped by an old Pioneer receiver and started pumping Cherry Poppin Daddies into the vintage KLH floor speakers hung high on the back wall. Proof of how long it has been since I was in the hangar is that I promptly hit my head on the wing strut walking under the wing. Really ran my bell and my neck still hurts.

The place must have had an eighth of an inch of dust covering everything. Couple monsoon preceding dust storms will do that in short order. Pushed out the Luscombe and cranked up the leaf blower. After making the place presentable, I lit off the Continental 65 and just listened to it for a bit. I decided to gas up so when I am able, I can launch without delay. Taxied to the fuel pumps, splashed 5 gal in each wing and taxied back. Aired up the tires and cleaned the bugs off her. The morning sun was coming through the open hangar and even at 0630 I had to move fast or the Simple Green spray would dry up. Not much chance to re-hydrate fossilized bugs. Working with McGuire’s Mirror Glaze on the windshield was a bit easier.

Traded out the Daddies CD for the Stray Cats and turned my attention to my airport wheels. When my kids were little, inspired by the squadron cars I remembered, we took an early 90s Honda 300EX quad and painted it low viz grey cammo, affixed a S-3 checklist to one fender and reproduction S-3A data plate to the other. It still needs the other markings, but I haven’t found decals that are the right proportion, and I am not talented enough to paint them. Without the kids motivating me, it remains a project. Still, it looks sweet and I run around the airport in style. I cleaned it up, and hooked up the battery charger. As the temp was thru 90 at 0700 I called it a day and got a beer from the fridge, took a seat in my ready room chair, (The real deal. If @nittany03 can confirm the statute of limitations has run, maybe I’ll tell how I came about it.) and daydreamed about leading Griz’s GA Air Force downtown on an Alpha Strike of Pagastan.

I would much rather be out flying like you guys, but it was still a good day at the hangar.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I haven’t been to the hangar for a few weeks. It has been hot and the AA buddy who was going to give me my flight review had to cancel so I can’t fly anyway. The pictures of the fine flying you guys have been doing, and going through lots of old photos of my youthful flying, made me want to just commune with the old girl, even if I couldn’t fly. So when Mrs Wink got up today at 0430 for Pilates before work, I shot down to the airport before it got too hot.

After pulling open the doors I went straight the Goodwill sourced CD player ampped by an old Pioneer receiver and started pumping Cherry Poppin Daddies into the vintage KLH floor speakers hung high on the back wall. Proof of how long it has been since I was in the hangar is that I promptly hit my head on the wing strut walking under the wing. Really ran my bell and my neck still hurts.

The place must have had an eighth of an inch of dust covering everything. Couple monsoon preceding dust storms will do that in short order. Pushed out the Luscombe and cranked up the leaf blower. After making the place presentable, I lit off the Continental 65 and just listened to it for a bit. I decided to gas up so when I am able, I can launch without delay. Taxied to the fuel pumps, splashed 5 gal in each wing and taxied back. Aired up the tires and cleaned the bugs off her. The morning sun was coming through the open hangar and even at 0630 I had to move fast or the Simple Green spray would dry up. Not much chance to re-hydrate fossilized bugs. Working with McGuire’s Mirror Glaze on the windshield was a bit easier.

Traded out the Daddies CD for the Stray Cats and turned my attention to my airport wheels. When my kids were little, inspired by the squadron cars I remembered, we took an early 90s Honda 300EX quad and painted it low viz grey cammo, affixed a S-3 checklist to one fender and reproduction S-3A data plate to the other. It still needs the other markings, but I haven’t found decals that are the right proportion, and I am not talented enough to paint them. Without the kids motivating me, it remains a project. Still, it looks sweet and I run around the airport in style. I cleaned it up, and hooked up the battery charger. As the temp was thru 90 at 0700 I called it a day and got a beer from the fridge, took a seat in my ready room chair, (The real deal. If @nittany03 can confirm the statute of limitations has run, maybe I’ll tell how I came about it.) and daydreamed about leading Griz’s GA Air Force downtown on an Alpha Strike of Pagastan.

I would much rather be out flying like you guys, but it was still a good day at the hangar.
Knock out that flight review bro!

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Went up to KSIK Monday night for dinner at Lambert’s. Well our 4 RV-8s went . It’s like we are a club now. Haha. Lots of roll throwing occurred. Made it back just before sunset., Beautiful day and smooth air and we were high enough that wasn’t hot. Heck, my son was with me and he fell asleep somewhere right before Dyersburg on way back.

Pags

N/A
pilot