• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

GroundPounder

Wait till the very end…

Cool fact of the day. Richard Todd was on the bridge during that battle, and turned down the opportunity to play himself in the movie. He portrayed Maj. John Howard instead. He and Maj. Howard linked up on Pegasus Bridge in June of 1944. He is wearing the acutal beret he wore during the war, with the badge that Maj. Howard would have worn.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
After a departure from KIXD approaching mins and solid IMC up to cruise - hand flowin in an aircraft with no AP and single-pilot - finally got some sunshine and clear skies approaching St Louis. My T-34 Burnside-Ott Sim instructor would be pleased. I miss having a decent AP. To add to the experience, this plane is slightly out of rig in roll,

Made it home though after 4 hours with a solid 20 knot tail wind.

1698451976055.png

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Here's pic from the departure - I had my phone in my pocket set to capture every 10 seconds or so - and this was the only decent shot. There was actually a temp inversion as it got warmer for a time as I climed. The freezing level at the time was over 12K. Despite lots of moderate precip, all was very smooth. Navigating to the first fix on the north side of a MOA - which I was later cleared to just go directly across.

This pic highlights the absolutely awful ergonomics of the Gippsland GA-8. The pilot seats have no wear near sufficient legroom and my knees are up near my chest and my legs splayed out to just get purchase on the rudder pedals. Meanwhile the seat pan is hard as a rock and the sitting position puts pressure right on my tail bone. Next time I need to bring my issued Oregon Aero seat cushion. Its a great pickup truck of an aircraft otherwise.

This aircraft has Garmin Flight Stream - allowing instant uploading of flight plans from Foreflight to and also from the panel.

Also no jump-seater attempting to pull the fire T-handle (on left side of panel) ...

1698453372077.png