• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Sioux was the H-13 or Bell 47, the "MASH" helicopter.
Correct, but the attack variant was called a Sioux SCOUT. You know how those army guys are.

I do know Bell called the AH-1 “cobra” in advertising materials so I guess the name stuck.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Got a nice hour and ten in this morning in the Griz-O-Copter. Here is a shot of Pagistan…a poor and dirty country. Worked on getting used to flying below treetop level at 60/70 mph (the river is good for this). Next week I need to start doing some autorotation practice.

3D76714B-B013-4B02-B609-A9CEF1AAF97F.jpeg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
That airspace can get hairy. What freq do you monitor?
The FAA issues one for each flight depending on what “gate” you are inside the ADIZ sector. They are called Gruby, Whino, Paleo, Wolly, Lucke, Jason, Fluky, and Brv. Today they kept me on 125.12 but asked that I monitor KNYG (Quantico) since I was goofing around near their territory. Plenty of C-17’s out today, typical commercial traffic, and lots of GA.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I'm assuming the Blackhawks and Dolphins stay on the Virginia side of the river.
The Dolphins (all out of Reagan National) all tend to head northwest unless they are conducting intercepts with the CAP squadron out of Belvoir. The Blackhawk’s and Lakota’s mostly follow the eastern edge of the river until they reach Indian Head then they do what they want to do. I’ve had a few army guys fly over to check out my flying machine (probably so they feel better about themselves!). Some day I’ll have to see if the controllers will let me follow the helicopter route that turns at the Woodrow Wilson and basically follows 95/495 out of the SFRA.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Dolphins (all out of Reagan National) all tend to head northwest unless they are conducting intercepts with the CAP squadron out of Belvoir. The Blackhawk’s and Lakota’s mostly follow the eastern edge of the river until they reach Indian Head then they do what they want to do. I’ve had a few army guys fly over to check out my flying machine (probably so they feel better about themselves!). Some day I’ll have to see if the controllers will let me follow the helicopter route that turns at the Woodrow Wilson and basically follows 95/495 out of the SFRA.
Also a fairly busy CAP Capital Squadron out of JB Andrews - a number of those missions flown by sitting congressmen who are also CAP members and pilots - CAP Lt Col Joe Manchin, as an example...

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
For those of you into high end aviation collectibles there this…

I know the dealer, he trades in very, very expensive stuff (enough to afford a shop in the ritzier parts of NYC) and once carried some remarkable WWII aviation stuff.