• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ramjet HARM

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Speed can also be a defense against some threat neutralization for high modern double-digit SAM systems. It isn't a huge safeguard, but it does offer a higher PK. It goes up really fast when the SAM has to track multiple very high speed targets, and reduces its reaction time in leaps and bounds.

I.E. Faster missile=harder missile to shoot down.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
give it some time and a few enterprising JOs
I was bored and need the PS practice. It's simple. If anyone comes up with a better saying, I'll remake it.

aargmez7.png

blackbart22

pilot
Is the engine any relation to the GORJE (Generic Ordnance Ram Jet Engine) that we were trying to test at China lake in the mid '70's?

exhelodrvr

pilot
Basically, so the HARM hits the SAM radar before SAM's hit any planes. It won't matter for some SAM's, but it doesn't hurt. I would also assume it would also extend the range, keeping you outside ever increasing threat rings.

Wouldn't it also decrease the effectiveness of radars going on and off, particularly if they are mobile and relocate in between?

subTidal

Yet another AARGM update: http://atk.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=118&item=952

ATK summary: "The ATK missile designed to take-out enemy air defenses even if they shut-off their radar systems scored a picture-perfect direct hit in the final live fire test of the System Development and Demonstration phase of the program. The first production missile is scheduled to be delivered to the Navy in January. By November, AARGM will be the only tactical extended-range, supersonic, multi-role strike weapon in U.S. and Italian inventory."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yet another AARGM update: http://atk.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=118&item=952

ATK summary: "The ATK missile designed to take-out enemy air defenses even if they shut-off their radar systems scored a picture-perfect direct hit in the final live fire test of the System Development and Demonstration phase of the program. The first production missile is scheduled to be delivered to the Navy in January. By November, AARGM will be the only tactical extended-range, supersonic, multi-role strike weapon in U.S. and Italian inventory."

What a bunch of industry fluff. The real scoop: By November, AARGM will still be years away from fleet IOC and it won't be particularly unique as the "only" anything - it's still fundamentally a HARM.

Brett

subTidal

What a bunch of industry fluff. The real scoop: By November, AARGM will still be years away from fleet IOC and it won't be particularly unique as the "only" anything - it's still fundamentally a HARM.

Brett

I read that with skepticism as well and debated about whether to keep that part of the quote in there, but decided to keep at least the quote accurate.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read that with skepticism as well and debated about whether to keep that part of the quote in there, but decided to keep at least the quote accurate.

Well, at least it was entertaining. :D

Brett