• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ramjet HARM

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
What? Improve the HARM? But it's the latest and greatest in ARMs. Its freaking state of the art!!!!!

In all seriousness, we had an admiral up here a few weeks ago that was saying that once the AARGM & Next Gen Jammers come on line and get hooked up with the Growler, it'll pretty much revolutionize the way we conduct EW. Should be interesting.

Government funded sterilization?

Lawman

None
The internet has had rumors of the existance of that thing for a long time. There has even been speculation that it was operationally tested/used in Desert Storm. I read that stuff on rec.aviation.military back circa '94 or so.

Of course it's true...it's on the internet!

I think the first time I heard about that missile I was 12, and it was a 13 year old telling me about it.... In CAP.

Yeah Ill believe it when I see it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Semi-related - whatever happened to the Sidearm (AIM-9 with an anti-rad seeker instead of IR)? I was talking to some Army folks way-back who were griping that they were trying to get them for the Longbows so they'd have an organic anti-radar capability, but the Army didn't want to buy into the Sidewinder program, or somesuch. They were of the opinion that the Marines would still get them for the Cobra. That was the last I'd heard of it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Semi-related - whatever happened to the Sidearm (AIM-9 with an anti-rad seeker instead of IR)? I was talking to some Army folks way-back who were griping that they were trying to get them for the Longbows so they'd have an organic anti-radar capability, but the Army didn't want to buy into the Sidewinder program, or somesuch. They were of the opinion that the Marines would still get them for the Cobra. That was the last I'd heard of it.
You're dating yourself, Fester.:D

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
They were of the opinion that the Marines would still get them for the Cobra.

Nobody has seen one in a long, long time. Due to limitations with respect to missile/aircraft capability, it would really only be useful in a pre-planned SEAD role. As a reactive weapon, it is so limited as to be almost useless. Hellfire, while not ideal in the EW role, gives us a greater capability where it matters for us slow-moving types.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

We had the Sidearm as well. I shot one in the simulator. It's about as useless as it can be.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
If I'm not mistaken, the sidearm was meant to be a weapon against radar guided gun systems like the ZSU... not SAMs...right??

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Anything it that band, but essentially....yes. Like I said, pretty worthless. It's easier/safer to just go around or over them.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's actually kind of funny, it's not too far off the concept of the actual music video for that song.