• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RAF Hawk T2 in Kingsville

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Good looking jet with a nice cockpit set-up. Has FADEC and a 1000lbs more thrust.

hawkt2b.jpg

hawkt2a.jpg

DSCF8036.jpg

DSCF8033.jpg

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I thought the T-45 was as well originally, and they realized that carrying gas ate up the advantage of having that extra gas in drops

That's the word on the street. The clownjets are plumbed for external fuel, but the Navy never bought the drop tanks.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Wing Ops flew it, said it is an awesome jet, big improvement over the Goshawk.

MasterBates

No shit.. Make any jet 10% lighter and give it 20% more thrust, ans it's gonna rule.

I want the 45 with the Allison motor it was "supposed" to have.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Seeing 287 in one of those pics warms the cockles of my heart, first solo and first trap in that machine. This thing have a radar, synthetic or otherwise?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
No shit.. Make any jet 10% lighter and give it 20% more thrust, ans it's gonna rule.

I want the 45 with the Allison motor it was "supposed" to have.

It wasn't so much the increased thrust or weight as it's only about 650 lighter with 1000lbs more thrust..it was the instaneous throttle response and how the aircraft handled. He flew the ball and there was no lag, even from idle..on touchdown, the power was right there. He also also flew BFM in it and said he really couldn't tell a difference in the thrust/power over the 45 but due to the aircrafts artificial feel, buffet is much less pronounced, it feeds in gradually; the T2 also has combat flaps below 350KIAS, press a button on the throttle and they deploy 15 degrees down, automatically raise above 350. It can sustain 15 degrees per second, instaneous of 21 degrees per second. Nothing compared to Gen 4/5 aircraft but it is superior to the Goshawk he said. To him it was like driving a truck and a sports car. The avionics of course are far and above what the 45 has.

BAe would like to sell the jet to the USAF for it's new advanced jet trainer and sell the avionics and motor to the Navy. I think Pax has a 45 with partial FADEC, reduces compressor stall and fatigue over the life of the motor. The instataneous throttle reponse, increased thrust...even an 1000lbs would be great. The avionics would also be awesome. My educated guess is this, the Navy has what it has and should be happy with that.

Here is the website:

www.hawkforUSAF.com

I flew an IUT tacform with one of the Brits in the rear seat of a T-45A, he got some nice pics of me flying wing on the way out and back. Hopefully it goes up on the site. They should have gotten some form flights with 200 (Centinneal) and the T2.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
How's the fuel consumption? The T-45 has short legs to begin with.

You said that buffet is less pronounced---does it still pitch buck at high alpha?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
How's the fuel consumption? The T-45 has short legs to begin with.

You said that buffet is less pronounced---does it still pitch buck at high alpha?

I don't know about the fuel consumption...it can carry a center line tank but like the blivet, probably limited in what you can do. I'll ask Rage about the buffet, his guess is it's due to the large vertical strake on wing. If you recall, pull into an engaging or max performance turn in the 45 and hello buffet and pitch buck. The T2 does not do that.