• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

R-2908 by Pensacola - what's it for?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Speaking of the local airspace. Does anyone know what happens at NOLF Wolf and Silverhill? On the VFR charts they are labeled as "U" for "unverified", and if I recall correctly the TW5 IFG said they can be used for low approach PELs but not for landings. Despite this, I don't know a single IP or student that used it. One IP I asked forgot it even existed. It looks like the runways were never extended to accept T-6s

Which begs the question, why does the Navy still maintain them? The runways are marked with Xs but the pavement isn't overgrown by vegetation and the grass there is still cut on a regular basis.
I think the Navy still owns the land but I don't think those fields will ever be used for naval aviation, ever again. Too much housing development around them and it would be untenable for noisy aeromoplanes to start buzzing around in great numbers once again. Sort of a similar thing happened to Holley NOLF, gotta use it or lose it.

Why do they still maintain them? Who knows what goes into the Region and CNIC's decision making on where to spend money.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Speaking of the local airspace. Does anyone know what happens at NOLF Wolf and Silverhill? On the VFR charts they are labeled as "U" for "unverified", and if I recall correctly the TW5 IFG said they can be used for low approach PELs but not for landings. Despite this, I don't know a single IP or student that used it. One IP I asked forgot it even existed. It looks like the runways were never extended to accept T-6s

Which begs the question, why does the Navy still maintain them? The runways are marked with Xs but the pavement isn't overgrown by vegetation and the grass there is still cut on a regular basis.

I suppose it's easier to keep a piece of land that it is to gets new one.

They're good places for gliders to land if you run out of lift and get stuck away from the home field. ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why do they still maintain them? Who knows what goes into the Region and CNIC's decision making on where to spend money.

In the past, they've also been used as a PEL field, albeit when the planes could stop quicker. I know of one individual that spent several hours out there after PEL'ing into Wolf.

Silverhill at least had a block house, but it was still rustic. And crash would already be clearing the gate once you strapped in as the departing afternoon RDO...even when you ask them to stay because you're not sure your battery will start the plane. Not that I'm still annoyed by that all these years later.

sickboy

pilot

I don't know why they're being paid for, but the runways are closed. I've lost count of the students that would set up a PEL over Silverhill while talking to Summerdale...below for SA.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

I have lots of touch and go’s at both.. But that was 1994 so Im guessing that not the answer you’re looking for... ?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I don't know many people who use them for PEL practice anymore, for Primary SNAs at least. If you're in the SMOA and can't make Summerdale or Barin, they're getting out via the seat. An IP might have that kind of SA, but a straight in to Summerdale vs a PEL entry to Silverhill would have to be a quick decision with super limited altitude.

I did use Wolf as a technique entry to keep SNAs clear of NPA's shelf when entering the initial for 27 at Barin. I.e. stay west of that triangle of runways and then turn onto heading for the initial, since a lot of those water features as checkpoints look the same when you're an ENS.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Depending on the runway, it is also used as a checkpoint for TW-5 T-6s getting into Barin.

Correct. Landing 7 L/R and 19 we use Wolf as a checkpoint. Tower will keep us on “the 7s” as much as possible. We fly our course rules at 250-ish so we can flow in with the T-45s a little easier.

As to your second point, sounds like even more reason to not use it for ELPs!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Ever since the idiotic Wahoo was created, I tend to avoid the clusterfuck that is the south working area. I'm a reservist...I don't have time to learn when the procedures change every other day. Too busy down there anyway. I'll go find a nice piece of VFR proper somewhere in the rose hill moa and then I'll mosey on over and fuck up the pattern at monroeville. Then I'll top it off with some biscuits and gravy.

Sometimes I like to claim to be KATT69 working weeks to oyster bay, aerobatics 6500 and above just to hear the shit show explode on area common. The best things in life really are free.

RandomGoat1248

Correct. Landing 7 L/R and 19 we use Wolf as a checkpoint. Tower will keep us on “the 7s” as much as possible. We fly our course rules at 250-ish so we can flow in with the T-45s a little easier.

As to your second point, sounds like even more reason to not use it for ELPs!

My point was just that there is a lot of traffic going over that same area. The larger issue down in the South when I was there as a student was the civilian traffic flying all over the place.

They really need to consider either making that area part of the Charlie, or stand up a Delta tower out there to cover Summerdale/Barin.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
My point was just that there is a lot of traffic going over that same area. The larger issue down in the South when I was there as a student was the civilian traffic flying all over the place.

They really need to consider either making that area part of the Charlie, or stand up a Delta tower out there to cover Summerdale/Barin.

It’s only gotten worse since they moved most of the KNIFE training to JKA. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting seven BOLOs (the KNIFE Cessna call sign). They clobber all of the non-towered fields and BFM all the time.

I’m pretty sure there’s a plan to put a tower at JKA. Sucks to be that controller. Yeeesh...