• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

R-2908 by Pensacola - what's it for?

0621 Hertz

Speaking of callsigns, does anyone know why VT-3's base callsign is Sandbag, vice Red Knight Base? Is that a reference to sandbag syndrome?

And why the callsign is spelled RN on DD forms instead of RK? Plenty of times I was called "Redneck 123" by unfamiliar approach controllers on CC flights

flgator92

None
Speaking of callsigns, does anyone know why VT-3's base callsign is Sandbag, vice Red Knight Base? Is that a reference to sandbag syndrome?

And why the callsign is spelled RN on DD forms instead of RK? Plenty of times I was called "Redneck 123" by unfamiliar approach controllers on CC flights
Haha probably. At VT-86, our base is listed as "ROKT Base" on our comm card, but when we call them it's just "Base, ROKT 11 on deck in 10 mikes," or whatever, it's comm brevity and all, I suppose. But I guess it really doesn't matter what you call it, it's just base at the end of the day.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Unless you share a common base freq. Or you're calling Range User Building ONE (may it rest in peace) and an AW is standing the radio watch.
We had a standing bet/dare that nobody ever tried, to commandeer the quarterdeck 1MC a couple days out from end of deployment to call "set condition BOCOD."

Like a lot of tactical problems, it came down to admin and logistics, that is the escape routes from that station and the tactical problem of immediately making yourself scarce after passing the word and having a high probability of successful escape. Problem was, right off the quarterdeck was to the captain's in-port cabin (just as most every warship) which in this case the embarked Commodore was using that cabin.

High risk, low reward = no mission.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We had a standing bet/dare that nobody ever tried, to commandeer the quarterdeck 1MC a couple days out from end of deployment to call "set condition BOCOD."

Like a lot of tactical problems, it came down to admin and logistics, that is the escape routes from that station and the tactical problem of immediately making yourself scarce after passing the word and having a high probability of successful escape. Problem was, right off the quarterdeck was to the captain's in-port cabin (just as most every warship) which in this case the embarked Commodore was using that cabin.

High risk, low reward = no mission.
On TR, we had a very very far Cheng. Somehow was exempt from body fat standards due to medical reason. Huge guy but great Cheng and well liked. Awesome sense of humor.

In the middle of our Desert Storm deployment, we randomly started hearing 1MC announcements when the ship healed in a turn or had a list. “Cheng to starboard for list control. That is Cheng to starboard for list control.”

They eventually caught an IC3 with a spare handset he’d plug into unmanned 1MC boxes. When he went to Mast, the Cheng talked the CO into dropping it. Cheng thought it was a great moral booster for the crew when it was happening. He said he could see Sailor instantly perking up listening to see if there would be an announcement every time the ship turned.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Like a lot of tactical problems, it came down to admin and logistics, that is the escape routes from that station and the tactical problem of immediately making yourself scarce after passing the word and having a high probability of successful escape.

I was surprised there weren't more antics on a FFG like that, since you had both the mid-ship's quarterdeck and the aft quarterdeck plugs very far from where anyone would be able to prove anything. I want to say I would always see the mid-ship's microphone always hanging there. The idea had definitely crossed my mind, but I never had a good/funny thing to make it worthwhile.