• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quonset Point RI Airshow

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I drove down to Quonset Point woth my daughters to catch the airshow yesterday, enjoyed watching the Blues fly as usual and got to check out a V22 in the flesh (Thanks to the aircrew for entertaining all my old guy questions) I was impressed by the usual pride they showed in their birds....Once again Thanks.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Quonset Point was closed decades ago. What is it used for today? Are the runways still active, etc. Was there in the Fall of '65 as an OC at Newport to visit VAW-33 which flew EA-1F jamming a/c. There were several VS squadrons, a VSF (A-4) squadron & a VAW squadron (E-1B) there, all attached to the USS Lake Champlain - the last straight-deck carrier in the Navy. My, how time flies when you're having fun.

Bevo16

pilot
Back in the mid/late 90's they were building submarine hulls and other parts down there and then floating them up to Groton/Electric Boat on barges. My dad was in VS-28 out of Quonset Point back in the 60's. My only experience with it is that I almost got arrested for going about 120 MPH on my motorcycle while racing a buddy of mine over the QP Bay bridge. I just sped up and made it across the state line ASAP.

dephyler

Contributor
Quonset hosts RI Army and Air National Guard units. There are a few C-130s and UH-60s there.

I missed the actual airshow, but saw the rehearsals on Friday afternoon. It was cool to see the Ospreys circle the field in both configs before landing. Also saw an E-2 come in, which was a nice surprise. The last airshow I went to was mostly AF aircraft, so it was nice to see a larger Navy presence this time around.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
The RI Air Guard has a 130 outfit with J models there. That bird is completely different from the old Marine F and R models I'm used to seeing. The flight station looks like an airliner cockpit no navigator or radio stations or engineer station, all I could really recognize was the throttles and landing gear handle. There is a museam on base that had a lot of Grumman iron on display like A6, F14, S1 and TBF to name a few.

dephyler

Contributor
I forgot my camera, but took a few with my phone.

IMG_0193-1.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Is there an on-site museum and they just tow the birds out for the show? (like Boeing Field, Seattle , WA)

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I believe there is an on site museum, I got some shots of tail numbers (ignore the date stamp) That's my sunburned ass in the MARSOC shirt.

Attachments

• DSCI0037.jpg
    DSCI0037.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCI0044.jpg
    DSCI0044.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCI0045.jpg
    DSCI0045.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCI0004.jpg
    DSCI0004.jpg