• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quitting USNA...

BRM21o

A couple of my prior enlisted buddies have dropped out saying they can still get commissioned through ROTC or another program. Is this possible or is it one shot, one kill? Thanks!

corona

Dropping out of the academy shouldn't inhibit them from doing rotc. Also don't see why you'd quit the academy if you're serious about becoming an officer.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Corona, no need for snide comments. That's a warning.

BRM, I've known former academy guys who went NROTC successfully. However, with the current plethora of junior officers, it may be harder to make the switch. Your best bet is to go with the program you feel you'd have the best shot with.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
zab1001 said:
However, with the current plethora of junior officers, it may be harder to make the switch. Your best bet is to go with the program you feel you'd have the best shot with.

Would agree. Not impossible. When one enrolls in another University, they will want to know why you quit, as will your ROTC application require that information. Also will most likely need a recommendation from the Academy, both University admissions and ROTC application.

I also would think it would depend on when (1st, 2nd year, etc) one quits.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
There is a Midn here at my unit that went to the USNA for freshman year. He's in the NROTC program now here at UW-Madison.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like the Chief said, not impossible, but they may have to prove themselves again in order to get selected to a comissioning program.

We had a student show up to the NROTC and he said that he turned down an appointment to the Academy, but after a little research, he had actually been physically NPQ, so we couldn't take him either (DODMerb Physical).

Good luck to them in their future endevours.

ea6bflyr

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
corona said:
Dropping out of the academy shouldn't inhibit them from doing rotc. Also don't see why you'd quit the academy if you're serious about becoming an officer.

Actually not a snide comment at all. A valid comment.

I taught at USNA for 3 years and saw a lot come and go through the gate. I'm going back to USNA after this tour in the gulf, too.

So with that as my background...curious about why the folks in question left, what was so bad? Was it academics, the regimanted lifestyle, the mando PRTs, etc?

r/
G

BRM21o

I don't think it's THAT bad...being a plebe sucks but that's because it's meant to suck...a couple of friends of mine that were E-4s and E-5s in the Navy before coming here are having trouble being bossed around and doing stupid $hit for people younger than they are with no fleet experience. It's all a big game and sometimes you really hate it but sometimes it's not all that bad. It's all in your attitude and if your around people that ***** and moan all the time then it really rubs off on you. I was just asking the question to see if these guys really could get a commission from Beautiful Women and Beer University or if they're talking out of their @ss

S/F

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
BRM21o said:
... having trouble being bossed around and doing stupid $hit for people younger than they are with no fleet experience ... or if they're talking out of their @ss

Sounds like. As I said, not impossible, would depend on circumstances. Will postulate two scenarios.

S1: Lets say they are priors, E-6's after 3 years service, SAT scores of 1600 (or close), National Honor Students, weighted HS GPA 4.8, in first year of USNA always on Supp's list, academic Gold Star, Varsity Sports, but had to leave USNA to take care of aging parent and siblings. ROTC scholarship would not be an issue, in fact, could even be accepted back into USNA.

S2: SAT scores 1050, HS GPA 3.0. After first year USNA academic probation, conduct penalties, military performance average. They left USNA because "they were not going to take anymore **** for any GIRL upperclassmen" as they were Fleet Seasoned Sailors. Well, than I think ROTC would be a hard sell.

While I would agree that Plebe Year is tough, sometimes maybe unfair, an at times making posters seems like a silly game. It all has it's reasons, and you will look back at it all and laugh.

Without scientific proof, I think "priors" are some of the best Midshipmen at USNA, primarily because of their exposure in the fleet. My advice has always been to latch on to one in your Company as a mentor and they will help you through Plebe Year. Unfortunaately after you "shotgun" out of your Plebe Year Company, you will lose your mentor. Wish USNA would not do that.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
The Chief said:
Without scientific proof, I think "priors" are some of the best Midshipmen at USNA, primarily because of their exposure in the fleet. My advice has always been to latch on to one in your Company as a mentor and they will help you through Plebe Year. Unfortunaately after you "shotgun" out of your Plebe Year Company, you will lose your mentor. Wish USNA would not do that.

I was just talking to my mom about it today, saying I hope that I get alot of priors in my company when I get there. When I was there for summer seminar, they were telling us of this one prior marine who during plebe summer couldn't help but laughing at all the upperclassmen yelling at him, as he had recently returned from combat in Afghanistan... I figure they'll know what it's like already since they've been to boot (and the fleet) and as such can deal with such related issues and deal with all the games better...

My girlfriend's roomate (they're both in NROTC) is prior enlisted and it's definitely worked out for her, dealing with the upperclassmen and whatnot.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
The Chief said:
Unfortunaately after you "shotgun" out of your Plebe Year Company, you will lose your mentor. Wish USNA would not do that.

They haven't shotgunned any plebes for a few years.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However I'm told we did have an incident last spring break in ireland involving some prior enlisted marines mids, a bog field, a cow and lack of clothing...no kidding.

Could it be the same ones?

I heard they had a personal visit with the CNO.

usunkmybship

I'm also considering NROTC right now. I don't know how that is going to work out but I don't want to wait until next year.