• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick T-45 question

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
That a/c doubles as a snow cone maker or smoke machine when you come up on the power right after the break on an especially hot and humid day.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Snow and ice pellets raining down on you in the cockpit are fun. F-14 used to do that real bad.

Also have seen so much visible water vapor one crew thought they had a fire...

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Also have seen so much visible water vapor one crew thought they had a fire...

I heard a story about a new nugget I think in an A-7 who was on his first cat shot and got just that. He broadcast over tower,

"There is cock in the smoke-pit!"

MasterBates

I think it was FAM-2 or 3 in the E-2, (the first USN plane I have flown where the AC actually works fairly well) and it went stupid on us. Stuck full cold. Would be OK, but it's getting dark and it's now foggin like a mother.

Me (to IP): Hey dude, is it supposed to work this well? (I'm fanning the fog trying to see the altimeter)
IP: No, turn it down.

I turn it down (as in warmer), no response.. I try auto. It gets worse.

Ended up doing more or less the last part of smoke/fume elimination with the ditching hatches open to keep the fog out. I'd never flown the E-2 with the hatches open, it was kinda neat. Windy as hell though.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think it was FAM-2 or 3 in the E-2, (the first USN plane I have flown where the AC actually works fairly well) and it went stupid on us. Stuck full cold. Would be OK, but it's getting dark and it's now foggin like a mother.

Me (to IP): Hey dude, is it supposed to work this well? (I'm fanning the fog trying to see the altimeter)
IP: No, turn it down.

I turn it down (as in warmer), no response.. I try auto. It gets worse.

Ended up doing more or less the last part of smoke/fume elimination with the ditching hatches open to keep the fog out. I'd never flown the E-2 with the hatches open, it was kinda neat. Windy as hell though.

My guess is it won't be the last time. Almost 2000 hours in the C-2 tells me that :)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I have a picture of the tube in the P-3 from a couple nights ago that I'll have to see if I can find. It looked like something out of Star Wars.

Flugelman

Contributor
I have a picture of the tube in the P-3 from a couple nights ago that I'll have to see if I can find. It looked like something out of Star Wars.

Usta piss me off, walking across the 100 degree ramp with a 50 lb ARC-27 on my shoulder, on my way to a steaming P-2, and seeing the clouds of cold air coming outta the vents in the P-3 cockpit... :icon_rage:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That a/c doubles as a snow cone maker or smoke machine when you come up on the power right after the break on an especially hot and humid day.
Even better when you forget to hit defog before descending out FL270 on a long-ass XC to hit the pattern at homefield. Break, power up, standard barrage of ice balls out of the ECS vents.

Cockpit starts to fog, defog doesn't work. So IP tells me to put ECS to RAM AIR. Roger that, sir. Humid Mississippi air rushes in and coats EVERYTHING so bad the freaking HUD starts to fog up. Full stop, taxi back, damn near IMC in the cockpit by the time we reach the angle off.

Gotta love Goshawk ECS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Cockpit starts to fog, defog doesn't work. So IP tells me to put ECS to RAM AIR. Roger that, sir. Humid Mississippi air rushes in and coats EVERYTHING so bad the freaking HUD starts to fog up. Full stop, taxi back, damn near IMC in the cockpit by the time we reach the angle off.

True story.....I just keep the temp knob at 11 oclock now and suck it up on deck (idle) so that I don't forget later on. Of course it has been unseasonably cool and dry here the last few days so that's been nice

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
Not to rain on the fantastic IMC cockpit of the 45, her px system is kinda a dog as well. I at 41k cockpit px shows ~23k, I believe the formula is 1/2 alt +3kish, which the T-6 was about 1/3 alt from what I recall....at the very least it put the t-45 px to shame.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
After my first trap at the boat, the HUD and canopy fogged up so bad, I had to have a PC pass me some cheese cloth to wipe it down, and then wait another 20 mins for it to clear out completely (with the temp blasting me in the face at full hot).