• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick question, Failing NOMI physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fongabonga

pilot
Just a quick question, I've already passed a NOMI equivalent physical and i'm currently in the FIP program waiting to report to TBS. What happens if my eyes somehow go below the standard and I fail the NOMI eye exam? Can i apply for any eye surgery and retake the physical while i'm at Pensacola or is that it and I have to go for a ground slot?? Just trying to make sure I still have that as an option.

-2nd Lt. Fong

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not sure on that, however you know you do not have to have 20/20 to be a pilot.... just a pilot who does not have to wear glasses when they fly. As long as your eyes are 20/40 or better and correctable to 20/20 u will have nothing to worry about.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
A guy I knew who reported to API at the same time I did found out his astigmatism has gotten worse and pushed him out of the tolerances for pilot. Instead of just sitting back and taking a FO redesignation, he put his package in for the surgery and it was granted. He ended up with like a 6 month wait to start, but he said it was well worth it to keep his pilot slot.

scooter86

So let me get this straight. You are allowed to wear glasses when flying only if your vision is 20/40 or better? If its worse than 20/40, you have to get surgery for sure, though?

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
20/25 to 20/40, you will fly with glasses (like me). If you're 20/40 or worse, you can't get into a Navy Pilot slot. You can try to get PRK and a waiver, but there are no guarantees. Some people who are 20/40 or better on refraction still won't qualify because of things like astigmatism, phorias, etc. The numbers game (20/20, 20/40, etc.) is way oversimplified. If you have less than perfect vision, you need to find out what all the tolerances are for cylinder, diopter, and the other things that make up your overall prescription. Then get an exam from a doc, civilian or otherwise, who can tell you whether or not you meet the standards. No sure things, but doing it this way will leave the fewest surprises.

Penguin
Navy LT--prior Medical Side puke--now 1395

Reactions: bch
Status
Not open for further replies.