• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

quick question about NROTC college program

amj1021

Hey guys,

I am a college sophomore and i am looking to apply for the NROTC college program at my school as opposed to the scholarship. i was wondering if this alternative will also lead me to becoming a commissioned officer after school like the scholarship would? also what are the differences of the scholarship and college program NROTC routes?

thanks.

jitiola

Tengo La Camisa Negra!!!!
No scholarship=No commission...unless you get picked up for advanced standing, which I have only seen happen once. However, being that you are a sophomore, you only have one semester to pick up a scholarship or get on advanced standing. Make getting that scholarship your goal!

What school??

torpedo0126

one of the reasons that there are few advanced standing slots is that not many people go that route. you can also apply for the two year scholarship or go to OCS after college if neither of those work out. Not familair with BDCP, but I think that is also a solution.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
SUNY Maritime should have a Merchant Marine Reserve Program that can lead to a commission as well. My info is dated, but I graduated from Mass Maritime and we don't have ROTC. I got commissioned through the MMR program and picked-up flight school after graduation.
Investigate that avenue as well. It may be a dead-end now, but worst they can say is 'no'.

Good luck

jitiola

Tengo La Camisa Negra!!!!
SUNY Maritime should have a Merchant Marine Reserve Program that can lead to a commission as well. My info is dated, but I graduated from Mass Maritime and we don't have ROTC. I got commissioned through the MMR program and picked-up flight school after graduation.
Investigate that avenue as well. It may be a dead-end now, but worst they can say is 'no'.

Good luck

MMR is alive and thriving! It's actually a pretty good deal right now that is only getting better. Last I checked guys were getting about 8K in SIP per yr. I'm here at SUNY now in the unit (2/C), so the OP can PM me with any specific questions.

@helolumpy: We got the bigger boat:icon_tong