• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

quick question about everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Version2point0, I have to ask why you think it's going to be an 8-5 school day? I have been with my husband since he was in T2's back in the mid 80's. He flew all hours of the day and night, went on detachments for 2-3 weeks at a time, cross countries a few times on weekends, etc. Of course there were also duty days. This was during jets. The Hornet RAG was much more intense.

I find it amazing your father would tell you it's a 9-5 job. The RAG/FRS works around the clock. Having lived around Naval aviation my entire marriage (16 years next month) I have never seen anything that resembles a 9-5 job that had to do with aviation.

My husband is also an F/A 18 pilot. (he has been in the Navy 19 years) Which Hornet squadrons was your dad in? We may know him. What did he fly prior to Hornets?

PS. If you want to leave the Navy with at least 3 stars on your shoulder...you are going to have to stay in a lot longer than 20. Aviators are not putting on Capt. (06) till at least 21years time in service. Better plan on 30+.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not meaning to threadjack, but...

"Intend to leave with at least 3 stars on my shoulder"?!?

It reminds me of something Gen Al Gray (CMC, ret) said to us at TBS, "A second lieutenant once asked me, 'Sir, how can I make general someday?' I told him, 'You'd better concentrate on making fist lieutenant."

Careerism is a scourge in the military. If making rank is your thing, your peers will smell it like blood in the water. Ass-kissing sycophants who worry more about not rocking the boat than fighting wars are very dangerous. Just concentrate on doing the right the right thing, and your career may benefit or it may not, but the respect of sailors and Marines lasts a lot longer than having a window office in the Pentagon.

The only career goal a military aviator should really hold (other than personal type things, e.g. getting a masters', etc.) is to be a squadron CO. Leading a unit is something to aspire to. However, if that's just a stepping-stone to something higher, that CO will be one who sacrifices those under him, rather that sacrificing FOR those under him. Work at every billet as if it's your last.

Lastly, a Col told my squardron once,"My priorities come in this order: my God, my family, my country, and my Corps...Those who say that the Corps comes first, ahead of their families, really mean that their career comes first."

version2point0

awright. looks like i have a lot to answer for here:

first, fred: i was only referring to flight school. from the beginning during classes before you start to fly and when you start to fly a little, its just an 8 to 5 school day. you have a syllabus and a class and you sit in a desk and you learn. they dont make you do that at 0200 or anything until later when you start learning night flight. as for actually being on duty as an aviator its a 24/7 thing. you can fly wherever whenever. i was only referring to the first few months after OCS and the first few months of your designated school. also, i know it will take many years beyond the 20 to get admiral stars. i never said i would do it in 20. i said it once and ill say it again: ill stay in as long as the navy will have me. if im out as a JO like a lot of other guys, so be it. if i hold a 30+ career, yay!

now, phrogdriver: im not a career opportunist. nor do i want to come across as one. im going to do my job and take everything one step at a time. if i stay in for a long time, then im in for a long time. i dont care. the navy is a great place to be. i know i can take augmentations that promote my career, but if those opportunities are not presenting themselves, im not going to show off just to try to get them. i will never compromise my values as a person just to get a higher paycheck. unfortunately my values are a little different than your quote, but i think they are just as important: my god and family are one unit because i am bound to them just as strongly as i am bound to Him. next comes my navy. one day i will be in charge of lives out there, and i would trust that the people who hold my life in their hands would treat me as equally as i treat my men. thirdly comes my country. with the success of the first two priorities, i feel the third will just naturally fall in to place. if someone wastes my life or the lives of my men, then my country will be severely hindered.

-v2.0

Fred

v2.0 By duty I meant watch standing SDO, etc. You show up at zero dark thirty and stay on watch till the last plane lands.

version2point0

heh. like i said, i can only relay what i have been told. guess it doesnt matter now :) im off to ocs this weekend. after im done i can tell you all what life is like directly after OCS first hand.

-v2.0

Fred

Totally off the topic but....Phrogdriver I have a question.

After reading your comment about the only career goal an aviator should have is to be a CO I had a question about Marine aviation. In Naval aviation after a CO tour if the person wants to stay in the Navy and remain operational they normally have one of two career goals, one is to be CAG and the other to go through the Nuke Power Pipeline which will lead (with hard work and luck) to commanding an aircraft carrier a few years down the road. How does it work for Marines? (I did hear there is going to be a Marine CAG with a Navy airwing)

Status
Not open for further replies.