• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumppilot01

Hi,

I've been reading on this site for a little bit and have seen a lot of threads from people being turned away for training. Why is this? Is the Navy not looking for many pilots?

The reason I ask is I am very interested in naval aviation. Having just graduated college with a degree in aviation and having a little over 1200 hours, I know flying is something I want to do, especially in the military.

1) based upon the above information, what are my realistic chances of being selected? I know this varies by individual, just kinda curious.

2) How long does it take from the time you initiate contact with a recruiter until you sign on the dotted line and are sent off?

3) Does the Navy accept PRK, or any other form of vision corrective surgery?

4) Is there a need for Navy pilots?

Thanks for all your help,
-Adam

psrogers

Intel Officer
I'll take a stab at this seeing as how I am working at a ski rental shop in Sun Valley, just organized the sh*! out of the poles and boots, and there is still no one here.

1) The answer is based upon some questions the Navy will have for you: what are your grades, activities, ASTB scores, and other background characteristics. Compare them to other applicants, and if they are as good or better than those who tend to be getting accepted, then you are a great candidate- very roughly speaking.

2) It has taken me about 5 months now- 3 to get the application done (I vacilated a bit) and 2 and counting, waiting for a reply (Intel takes longer I hear, which is what I applied for). It can definitely be done faster, but I recommend getting started asap because it will take longer than you think.

3) Yes, but only PRK (and lasek style PRK, but NOT lasik, which is totally different)

4) Hell ya dude, of course. The airlines and the economy and the 'needs of the navy' have, I understand, slightly diminished the current need, but it will always rebound.

Hope that helps...later...Paul

psrogers

Intel Officer
Whoa dude...I just saw that you are from Washington. I grew up there, went to Seattle Prep and UW, working as a tutor at UW. What are you all about?

bart27

Paul: I am also here in Seattle and went to UW...I graduated this past Dec. Are you still waiting to hear back from the board? I am finishing up my package and will be doing my PRT this Tuesday with LT D. I know you did yours awhile back...could you tell me how your test was administered? Is there anything that I should be aware of and/or is LT D looking for anything specific as far as technique? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.