• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions

flygal22

Spence,

I seem to have had a diff experience than the others with my recruiter. I had alot of the paperwork done and ready to go before taking the ASTB. I actually didn't do that until after I had PRK.

To find a doc: I looked on the net to find docs in my area and called to speak w/them. Schedule a consultation first (and ask if they do free ones on certain days -- mine did, I saved $250 that way). Make sure you are completely comfortable with the doc before having the surgury. Don't pick a doc that will do anyone's eyes who walk in the door.

I'm seeing 20/15 now (had the surgury in Feb 06) and I've gotten my wavier from the Navy. The only two surgerys they will wavier for pilots is LASEK or PRK. (NOT LASIK!!) The LASEK and PRK are essentially the same surgery, with slight variations and the LASIK actually creates a flap in your eye which is why they do not accept it.

Be sure to ask your recruiter about the PRK requirements too. The Navy will ask for specific records from your doctor.

Spence

With PRK becoming so common in the Navy these days, would anyone here think a person with laser surgery and a waiver for it is a less competitive pilot candidate than a person who has naturally great vision? I mean if two identical persons were trying to get f-18s, and the only difference in their credentials was one with PRK, would the other get the position easier?
Just curious, thanks

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
With PRK becoming so common in the Navy these days, would anyone here think a person with laser surgery and a waiver for it is a less competitive pilot candidate than a person who has naturally great vision? I mean if two identical persons were trying to get f-18s, and the only difference in their credentials was one with PRK, would the other get the position easier?
Just curious, thanks

Wow, that's a good question. It may have been answered somewhere else on AW, I am not sure. In any event, now that it is a procedure done more often in the Navy I would imagine that it will have little relevance at selection boards, but I am not sure.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Just curious, thanks

Your vision will have zero effect on what platform you select (i.e. -18's). You need the PRK waiver to be an SNA, but once you get that waiver, you are equal footing with any other SNA. The only thing the selection board looks at is your training jacket. Interestingly, all pilot applicants have the same physical and medical requirements. There is a distinction between ejection seat and non-ejection seat aircraft, but this is only for winged fleet aviators that experience injuries or medical problems, and it doesn't have anything to do with vision.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
After thorough thinking and researching, I finally reached my decision to contact a local recruiter to talk about the first steps I should take to becoming an officer in the Navy, and that I'd love to meet or talk over the phone about it with him. I told him I was pursuing a B.S. degree and that I was a college senior. I didn't tell him I had civilian hours and currently working on my CFI ticket. But he just said "Take the ASTB first." He told me the hours I could take it at the office, and that's it.

He didn't say anything about meeting with him first:confused:. I have been studying for the ASTB, and when I'm ready to go take it, what should I bring? Do I need to call him back before I take it?
Also, I asked him about PRK, but he didn't have a list of any doctors. Should I just look online for local doctors that can perform the PRK and keep all the paper work from the operation?

Thanks!

Don't sweat the ASTB...especially since you have some civillian hours under your belt. It wouldn't hurt to study a bit, but don't get to crazy.
(this is from a non-pilot, but I have taken the test)