• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions

Spence

After thorough thinking and researching, I finally reached my decision to contact a local recruiter to talk about the first steps I should take to becoming an officer in the Navy, and that I'd love to meet or talk over the phone about it with him. I told him I was pursuing a B.S. degree and that I was a college senior. I didn't tell him I had civilian hours and currently working on my CFI ticket. But he just said "Take the ASTB first." He told me the hours I could take it at the office, and that's it.

He didn't say anything about meeting with him first:confused:. I have been studying for the ASTB, and when I'm ready to go take it, what should I bring? Do I need to call him back before I take it?
Also, I asked him about PRK, but he didn't have a list of any doctors. Should I just look online for local doctors that can perform the PRK and keep all the paper work from the operation?

Thanks!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
My recruiter acted like I was nodoby until I took the ASTB. I did well on it and then he started calling me and sending emails like mad. For the ASTB, study your ass off. Read the ASTB section on this forum. I have not had PRK so I can not say anything about it. From what I have heard just do your research before you do anything.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Study for the ASTB but don't get too jacked up about it. It's not so bad, but don't shrug it off either.

Pags

N/A
pilot
MasterBates said:
What the heck is the ASTB. I must have done it at some point.
it used to be identified with some different letters...there might have been a Q in it...but it's the test that had the spacial stuff on it and the personality questions.

JIMMY

spence this is really good.

http://www.navyguides.com/

u can figure it all out on ur own... but this at least gives you a checklist to follow, and helpful tips for a lot of the forms.

the main thing i would think about the ASTB issue... is that until you have qualifying scores for whatever you wana do, you're not worth much to him.

im in the process of putting my package together right now too. GOOD LUCK!:)

Spence

Great guys, thanks. As for PRK, should I just go ahead and find my own local doctor and set up my own appointment? As long as I keep the paper work from the operation, I should be fine?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Atsb

MasterBates said:
What the heck is the ASTB. I must have done it at some point.

Since the others are holding out on you: ASTB = Aviation Select Test Battery

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
My Navy recruiter wasn't exactly super friendly either until I took the ASTB, then it was "Alright, you got good scores! Let's get that packet together!" Which does kinda make sense, if you go in there, take the test, and get 2/3/2, well, time to find a new program; or stop reading the study guides upside down. :p Don't get me wrong, the L T was informative, but the ASTB is very important. I think I made a post around here somewhere that listed a bunch of links that helped me. (7/8/7).

The Marine recruiter talked to me alot more before I even knew what the test was, doing a lot of Q & A about this or that. Love those Marines.

And the Air Force guy was a douche; I'm not saying anything about the Air Force, but he wouldn't give me the time of day.

-----------

As for PRK, just find a good doctor with good referrals, then get it done. Unless you get the surgery done in some basement, your doctor will of course keep all the paperwork, and you can just request it from him down the road to take to your medical work.

Just for the love of God, if you want to do Aviation, it HAS to be PRK. LASIK is non waiverable.

-----------

Best of luck.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Pags said:
it used to be identified with some different letters...there might have been a Q in it...but it's the test that had the spacial stuff on it and the personality questions.

This must be the old AQT/FAR. Aviation Qualification Test/Flight Aptitude Review. They made us take it again in API as a test for a new version. We were the control group. That's 4 hours of my life that meant nothing and I'll never get back.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Harrier Dude said:
This must be the old AQT/FAR. Aviation Qualification Test/Flight Aptitude Review. They made us take it again in API as a test for a new version. We were the control group. That's 4 hours of my life that meant nothing and I'll never get back.
I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, we all just called it the Aviation SAT.

Spence

OneOddGuy said:
As for PRK, just find a good doctor with good referrals, then get it done. Unless you get the surgery done in some basement, your doctor will of course keep all the paperwork, and you can just request it from him down the road to take to your medical work.

Just for the love of God, if you want to do Aviation, it HAS to be PRK. LASIK is non waiverable.

-----------

Best of luck.

I'm 20 years old but my vision is still changing. The last time I went for my yearly exam was around November of 2005, and even then my prescription was different. Does this mean I will have to wait to get my application together until my eyes are stable? It's horrible to think that I can't continue after I take the ASTB until my eyes are done getting worse and then get surgery. That could be another year :eek:.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Spence said:
I'm 20 years old but my vision is still changing. The last time I went for my yearly exam was around November of 2005, and even then my prescription was different. Does this mean I will have to wait to get my application together until my eyes are stable? It's horrible to think that I can't continue after I take the ASTB until my eyes are done getting worse and then get surgery. That could be another year :eek:.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. What's the point of operating now when your vision is going to get worse anyway?

Spence

Other options for bad vision

I wear soft contacts now and my vision prescription is -5.50 in my left eye and -5.25 in my right. Is there any other option for me besides PRK? Does anyone here believe that the http://www.rebuildyourvision.net/ Web site works by just doing eye exercises. The pilot from www.fighter-pilot.org recommended that link before getting PRK.
Thanks!