• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions on Whiting

navy08

This Friday, I'll be giving a presentation over Whiting, and I wanted to get the opinions from those who have been/lived there.

A couple things I wanted to cover include:
1. Places to live, their cost, and distance from the school.
2. What to do in the area (besides study...nightlife, beaches, daytime recreation?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rubiks06

pilot
This Friday, I'll be giving a presentation over Whiting, and I wanted to get the opinions from those who have been/lived there.

A couple things I wanted to cover include:
1. Places to live, their cost, and distance from the school.
2. What to do in the area (besides study...nightlife, beaches, daytime recreation?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can live in a few different places. I chose to live half way between (around 10 mile and I-10 and Davis Highwayt )Pensacola and Whiting. I rented a three bedroom and two bath house for 900 a month. I know of other people who had similar deals. Governors Gate and Sweetwater are apartments that are about halfway, though a little more close to Pensacola. This area will get you a 25-30 minute ride to Pensacola for API and a 35-55 minute ride to Whiting for Primary/Advanced. Lights there suck because they are timed and you could sit at a light for five minutes at three in the morning with no one there so that can add to commuting times. I know people who have lived close to API and then broken their contract and moved up to Milton for primary so that is doable.

As far as things to do there are the beaches and shopping for those that are into that sort of thing.
You can live up by whiting they have base housing and such your commute will be great but it is at least 45 minutes to get downtown where the restaurants and bars are. I wasn't much for the bar scene but there are plenty of good food places downtown and some pretty good ones down on the beach too. Mcguires is cool once or twice but starts to get old when you and every other flight student start showing up.
For you outdoors types there are plenty of places to hunt and fish. Whiting has opened its doors to hunting so thats pretty cool. The Florida Fish and Game has a pretty good website for Hiking, Hunting, Fishing and camping. All of these things are well withing a comfortable drive. Blackwater state park is right out the back gate of Whiting. Then there are New Orleans, Atlanta, Tallahassee all of these places are within a 3-5 hours of Milton.

I guess thats quite a bit..hope that helps...let me know if you have specific questions.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Well, The 'ol college try. My philosophy in college was "Wait till the last minute, only takes a minute to get done"... With that said, you can approach this subjectively or objectively.

I'm the total opposite. Work is work and NOT being deployed is worth the drive. Scant a mule or cow in Whiting proper. I chose to live downtown close to the bars and restys. North Hill, East hill and Bayfront are not bad places to live but you have a 45 minute commute each way to work. (Good for being a total tool and listening to EP's on tape, more than one driver assumed I was schizophrenic). But I digress, Rent is usually affordable with two chums, around 800-1100 a month. You can check most realty websites for mean rental cost, or checkout www.pensacolamls.com for some info.

As far as things to do, I had a blast. STUDY FIRST, then play. A lot of truth to the adage Work hard Play hard. Seville, have fun but you wont see me there. Tons of great bars that are holes in wall. The Museum is worth a few trips and don't forget you're close to Biloxi, Destin and FT Walton too.

Lest your reminder that your job here will be to study hard and do well, but don't forget to have a life too. There's a lot of things you can find on the Chamber of Commerce site that may be more of a professional em-fa-sis, and use a couple slides towards the end as personal recommendations from this site.

But you gotta tell us what kind of trouble you got in to be wasting your valuable time on this???

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I lived in Milton. I liked being close to work, and was able to afford a nice house (with a roommate) that had a pool... and we built an outdoor bar. We threw the parties on the weekends, and made the best of it. We found a Marine LT who was moving on from the HT's and trying to sell... but couldnt in the market... so we arranged to just pay his mortgage for him.

Living in a nieghborhood that was NOT full of other SMA's gave us the chance to befriend neighbors and share drinks with NORMAL people outside of the Navy.

However, unless you go out of your way like I did... there is NOTHING to do in Milton. During the summer it isnt too bad, because a DD can quickly get you to Pensacola Beach... and even if you cant find a DD, the cab ride is only like $40 - $50... which if you throw three or four guys in isnt too bad. (remember, you're an Ensign making mad money now, right?)

But I lived near base because it was a nice 15 minute drive to work. If I got to work and forgot my (insert study item here) I could cruise home and back before my brief time. If I wanted, I could stay at a friends house in Pensacola on the weekends. And plus, I really think the majority of Whiting students (at least in the HT's) lived in Milton. So the few guys who lived in Pensacola were kind of out of luck when it came to studying with a few other studs, or getting ready for Formation Briefs...

navy08

But you gotta tell us what kind of trouble you got in to be wasting your valuable time on this???

No trouble.. just an assignment for my aviation practicum class. Each of us have been assigned different stations to research and present. The topic is open-ended, but is merely meant as a familiarization to the places we could all be staying.

kejo

pilot
No trouble.. just an assignment for my aviation practicum class. Each of us have been assigned different stations to research and present. The topic is open-ended, but is merely meant as a familiarization to the places we could all be staying.

Who's your practicum instructor?

I lived in Pace near Spencer Field in a 3br house with two other SNA's through primary (VT-2) and advanced (HT-8). 15 min ride to work, great community, close to Walmart (learn to love it) and grocery store. Downside was it took 35-45 minutes to get downtown. That's when I got heavy into grilling, bought an outdoor fireplace, and learned to entertain.

There are a few places to go out local to milton that seemed to be picking up some steam. Ollies could be a good time with the right people, Oops Alley bowling if you were desperate.

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
There are a few places to go out local to milton that seemed to be picking up some steam. Ollies could be a good time with the right people, Oops Alley bowling if you were desperate.

There was also the "Texas whorehouse..." I mean Roadhouse, just east of 90 and Dogwood. The La Hacienda right by there had some good Mexican too.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
There was also the "Texas whorehouse..." I mean Roadhouse, just east of 90 and Dogwood. The La Hacienda right by there had some good Mexican too.

One of their 20 year old 95 pound servers lived down the street from me... I think you got the name right the first time... What do you think, pennst8?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
One of their 20 year old 95 pound servers lived down the street from me... I think you got the name right the first time... What do you think, pennst8?

I sure hope they were 20 yrs old ... they looked closer to 16 to me... pennst8 might be in more trouble than he knows :eek::D

Boom2

pilot
i live in gulf breeze, while it's nice being 5 minutes from the beach the 40-60 minute drive can get old sometimes. as for places to go out, i'd recommend flounders during the summer, every friday and saturday night there's a wet t-shirt contest that sometimes brings out some talent, and the diesel fuels are grreat

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was also the "Texas whorehouse..." I mean Roadhouse, just east of 90 and Dogwood.
You've got to be kidding me. In Milton?? That place was and probably still is 80% jailbait. The key to telling, I was told, is that they supposedly have to be 21 to serve you your beer . . .

I now have a strange craving for peanuts, Yuengling, and a chipotle burger.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Whiting Pines (off base housing) is now run by GMH. They are letting single students rent the 2 br 1 bath duplexes or they can split it with one other students.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
You've got to be kidding me. In Milton?? That place was and probably still is 80% jailbait. The key to telling, I was told, is that they supposedly have to be 21 to serve you your beer . . .

I now have a strange craving for peanuts, Yuengling, and a chipotle burger.

Funny, I have a strange craving for jailbait now. That and cinnamon butter rolls...