• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from a Potential Recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Condon

Hello all!

I'm a 23 year old civilian who is considering enlisting in the Navy. There are many attractive features to Naval service, but one of the primary ones for me is the education benefits available. Needless to say, the STA-21 program seems too good to be true! My recruiter mentioned it, but was unable to give me many details, so I'm doing some research on my own.

I understand that the program is pretty competative, but I think that with some hard work I can make myself an attractive candidate for selection. I got a 1460 on the SAT, and have some college under my belt, but my GPA was pretty abysmal. I plan to take college courses again starting in the upcoming Winter semester, and blow them away. However, I'm still concerned that my previously subpar academic career will reflect too strongly for me to hope to be selected for this program. Could any of you tell me how heavily weighted previous academic experience is in considering candidates? Is the GPA the only thing considered, or would the entire transcript be looked at? I'm positive that I have gained the motivation necessary to reverse my earlier academic failures, and I wonder what the best way to prove that would be?

I am also curious how soon after enlisting one can reasonably expect to apply for the STA program. I am under the impression that there is no minimum time-in-service, or enlisted rank to apply, but I'm sure that's not the whole story. Ideally I'd like to apply ASAP after 'A' school, and I'd love to get some idea of how soon that would be. Are more experienced persons given preference over those new to the service? I can certainly understand this, if it is the case, but would like to know what the specifics of the selection process look like, so that I could begin planning for my application before even enlisting.

I am very interested in Naval service, but not quite prepared to take the leap. This program won't make or break my decision to enter, but it's certainly a strong selling point! I hope you folks can give me a better idea of what is entailed in the application process, and point me in the right direction to begin preparing ahead of time.

boobcheese

Sta-21

I've been in 6yrs now and was picked up for STA-21 for FY-03. And yes
STA-21 is almost to good to be true. I'm getting paid E-6 with tuition and books covered and I'm accruing time in service even as I write this. I was basically in your situation. The whole reason I enlisted was because I was just spinning my wheels in college and didn't really know what I wanted to do.
I had approx 90hrs of college credit with about a 2.0 GPA but I did have a pretty good SAT score of 1360. Most importantly my command liked me and gave me glowing recommedations. So basically with SAT scores like yours as long as you work hard and play the game you will get gain command support you should be a shoe in. I know some people are getting picked up straight out of A school so hit the ground running and START PUTTING YOUR PACKAGE TOGETHER EARLY (take the SATs now to get a current score).
Visit the following site if you haven't already. Good luck
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

P Condon

Thanks for your response! Sounds promising!

I imagine it would be best to plan to spend some time at my first duty station before applying, if only so that I'd have time to get to know my superiors? How are people chosen directly from A-School, if they've never had the chance to impress anyone? Or can one's A-School CO reccomend one for the program?

Thanks again,
Patrick

jjordan19

SNFO waiting for primary
Like the first person that responded, I am a E-6 in the STA-21 program. I was picked up in the first selection year of the program. I would say that if you don't submit your application from your A school command, at the very least try to get a letter of recomendation forn your CO before you leave. Your A school CO can endorse your package to the board. If you transfer prior to submiting your application go ahead and get a letter of recomendation, this will show continunity from command to command or CO to CO.

In reference to grades, I went to college before enlisting and had a 1.30 GPA and lower SAT scores than yourself, but consistent superior performance while on active duty helped me show that I was just too young in college to grab a better meaning to good grades.

Best of luck.

P Condon

Thanks for your advice and help, folks!

I went to MEPS yesterday, and signed into DEP as an HM, with a ship date in July. I asked my recruiter about the STA-21 program, and he stated that it's even possible to apply while still in DEP, and possibly enter the program directly from initial training. Do any of you have any info on that?

Thanks again,
Patrick

jmurty19

you want some advice.....DON'T ENLIST!!! If you have half a brain, finish college, and if you're still interested in the navy, go OCS or DIO (direct input officer). Your chances of making it that way are far greater than enlisting first and then hoping to get picked up for sta-21. If you have any idea of what the navy is like, you will heed my words of advice. Being in college is so much better than the navy. If money is a concern, or direction for that matter, join your local NROTC. That way, you get college paid for (or partially paid for) and you can still get the direction that experienced navy JO's and senior officers have to offer. don't blow it man! Sorry if i sound jaded, but i'm waiting for the fy05 results to come out now, and all i can tell you is that 15 hour days doesn't make for an easy life! Good luck, and think about what you do before you take the leap! :)

jmurty19

oh yeah, you can get out of DEP if you want, you can also get out of the navy before you've been for 6 months on a "failure to adapt".... don't let anyone make a sucker out of you, especially your recuiter. They lie for a living, don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Find out answers to your questions on this forum or in writing somewhere else.

JEEPER1219

I will second jmurty19. Where I am not nearly as bitter as he is, my 8 years enlisted have been great...BUT if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten my ducks in a row and went to college then OCS. I was in need of direction and I got it in the Navy. Just remember this (if you do decide to still enlist)...Choose your rate, choose your fate...I am a merged FC (used to be a DS). My job has been very fulfilling since day one. Just remember that from my vantage point it really does seem like an easier feat to become an officer from the civilian ranks than does it from the enlisted ranks. This is my 3rd package in 3 years and have continued to play the waiting game. So really the call is yours. I like being enlisted because of my job, but I want to be commissioned.

Country Boy

Proud Father
Wow that's bitter, but not entirely untrue. While it is much more beneficial to be in the Navy as a commissioned officer, the enlisted life has much to offer as well. My advice is the same as their's though, to do your best to get through college and then if you're still interested in the Navy, go through a commissioning program.

jmurty19

Sorry about the "bitterness", but just trying to give some good advice. I've seen too many extremely intelligent people in my time in the navy get jaded by being enlisted, especially in the nuke pipeline. Anyway, don't get me wrong, I most definately would have joined the navy no matter what, but I just wish I had stuck it out in college instead of taking the easy road of a guaranteed job. Also, I HATE recruiters. I have yet to come across a single person in the navy who was not lied to their recruiter.

Country Boy

Proud Father
I agree totally with you. Although I haven't been in that long (only about 3 1/2 years) I too have seen quite a few in the same situation (even just 1 is too many). It is a shame. I don't share quite the same view on recruiters though. I have heard the horror stories and some of the more ridiculous promises. My recruiter never really "lied" to me, he just didn't tell me everything I probably should have known. Either way, joining was probably the best thing for me at the time. But overall yes, recruiters are there to lie. Otherwise who would enlist in any of the branches?

P Condon

Wow, thanks for such honest responses!

At the moment I'm preparing to go back to school full time starting in the Spring semester. My ship date isn't until late July. The way I've figured it so far this gives me plenty of time to mull the whole thing over. I'll finish out another semester of college, and see where my motivation stands before I have to ship out. I intend to do a lot better this time through, and once I get in I'll try applying for STA-21, but my heart isn't really set on it. I guess I'm more of a dabbler when it comes to Navy life: I want to experience military service, and fulfill what I feel to be an obligation to my country, but at the moment I don't really expect to end up as a careerist. Maybe that will change once I get in. Maybe not. Anyhow, I'm signed up for the National Call to Service program, so my initial active obligation is only about 2 years. If I make STA-21 in that period then I'll gladly serve additional time. If not, well, if I like the Navy I'll reenlist, and try again, and if I don't I'll get out in a fairly short period.

JMurty: I know DEP isn't binding(well, it is, but it's not enforced), but thanks for making sure. I don't like the idea of dropping out of DEP, and would rather not do it; it seems like a sort of underhanded tactic. But if it's in both my own and the service's best interest I'd keep the option open. Maybe I get back into school and like it well enough that I'd rather take the route you kind folks have suggested: finish up and apply for OCS. If I thought I could offer better service that way I'd think about it.

But for now I'll stick with it. It's good motivation for me, and I'm looking forward to my time in, whether as officer or enlisted.

And, yeah, I'm keeping an eye on my recruiter, and double-checking everything he says. . .

Which is why I came on here to ask my last question: "I asked my recruiter about the STA-21 program, and he stated that it's even possible to apply while still in DEP, and possibly enter the program directly from initial training. Do any of you have any info on that?"

So, that's bunk, right? I haven't seen anything yet to suggest that it's possible to apply before finishing boot camp.

Thank you all!
Patrick

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Definitely a great thread, and I am glad to see you all are putting out your viewpoints and thoughts on this matter. This question has come up before in the past, but has generated a spectrum of nonsense or flaming answers.

I am not going to give you advice on what to do with your life, but I will second the viewpoint on both sides that have been expressed above. You need to know what you are getting into, and prepare yourself for the very real fact that you are going to serve your complete enlistment without getting picked up for a commissioning slot. Are you prepared to accept that? And the follow on 4 years of reserves?

The civilian route, whether through BDCP, NROTC or OCS is a much shorter and easier path to take. Also, for those that want to go Aviation, coming into the Navy late in the game puts you up against the age limits, so that is something that you may have to watch out for.

Enlisting in the Navy, and giving your 150% isn't even a guarantee that you will be accepted. Unfortunately, I have seen my star AW2 who we were setting up for this years STA, get into a minor alcohol related incident on deployment, and all his hard work disappeared over night. Such an incident in college wouldn't cost you anything, different standards, and different expectations.

JEEPER1219 said:
This is my 3rd package in 3 years and have continued to play the waiting game. So really the call is yours. I like being enlisted because of my job, but I want to be commissioned.

What a true statement. I wasn't ready for college out of high school, lucky I realized it, or I would more than likely have been the 60 credit 1.8 GPA student getting the boot! The Navy has been good to me, and I will the first to admit it, I have had a great ride, and seen and done things in a variety of communities that my friends and family still to this day don't have a 100% appreciation or clue of. Great ppl, hard work, trying times, and all the ups and downs associated with it. It took me 3 applications to make it to ECP back in 96, that was going to be my last application, I wasn't able to do it in my first enlistment, and I had already made my decision that I wasn't going to do more than two.

Anyways, I hope you go in with your eyes open, everyone here has given you a great deal of info to help you.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've said my piece on this topic before. Just do a search under my name and I'm sure you'll find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.