• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from a Noob Midshipman

navyterp67

pilot
I am NOT a worry wart about GPA and stuff like that...
Having said that, I still keep my grades up so I can hopefully get 1390 and I just have a couple questions...

I realize that pilot needs in the Navy fluctuate constantly... however, does anybody know the approximate number of pilot slots available to NROTC Midshipman after every May commissioning?

Also... I know there are many more variables for the rankings than this, but how competitive is a 3.4 GPA for a Criminal Justice major, with pretty good PT scores (100 pushups, 115 situps, 9:45 run)?

I would just like to know how my situation for getting aviation looks so far.

Thanks

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Are you on scholarship now? If so, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. There's no guarantees obviously, but I'd be REALLY surprised if you didn't get a pilot slot (provided, of course, that you're medically qualified).

navyterp67

pilot
thanks for replying

yes I am on scholarship (MIDN 3/C)

I know I have a lot of time, I just want to see what other people who have been through this think about the whole thing

there are 25 mids in my class, and 13 want aviation 1390 or 1370, including me

I just don't know how many slots are available to ROTC mids each year and how competitive it is

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Keep your grades up and study/prep for the ASTB. You'll be fine.

navy09

None
I'm in my 4th year of ROTC...I've never heard of someone who was physically qualified not getting pilot. You'd have to be a huge ****bag to not get it. The # of Mids at your unit is irrelevant because you're ranked and selected nationally. Don't sweat it, just get decent grades, do OK on the ASTB, and (most importantly) don't do something stupid that'll get you kicked out of the unit.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Remember selection is not only based on how many people at your unit are up for pilot, but also how many people graduating from the NROTC program nation wide are seeking that designator.

Keep the grades up, prepare for the ASTB as best you can, and enjoy college.

armada1651

pilot
Yeah, at this point I'd say you'd have to do something incredibly stupid or be ridiculously unlucky to not get a pilot slot. Do well on the ASTB, keep your grades up, you'll be fine.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, at this point I'd say you'd have to do something incredibly stupid or be ridiculously unlucky to not get a pilot slot. Do well on the ASTB, keep your grades up, you'll be fine.

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but things can change drastically in just a few years, even by the time the OP selects. Pilot/NFO slots went from almost impossible to get my freshman year to any warm body getting them my senior year. And with a new President, who knows what will happen.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Typically, NROTCs across the nation graduate approximately 1200 Ensigns every year. About 200-300 Pilot slot are available every year for NROTC grads. Like others have said above, strive to do your best and you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want.

-ea6bflyr ;)

armada1651

pilot
Not to be a killjoy or anything, but things can change drastically in just a few years, even by the time the OP selects. Pilot/NFO slots went from almost impossible to get my freshman year to any warm body getting them my senior year. And with a new President, who knows what will happen.

Fair enough. In my 4 years I never saw anybody who wanted a pilot slot and was physically qualified not get it. But I suppose I illustrated the danger of speaking solely from personal experience.

Well, there's always the standard go-to advice: do your best at everything and let the chips fall where they may.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm in my 4th year of ROTC...I've never heard of someone who was physically qualified not getting pilot. You'd have to be a huge ****bag to not get it. The # of Mids at your unit is irrelevant because you're ranked and selected nationally. Don't sweat it, just get decent grades, do OK on the ASTB, and (most importantly) don't do something stupid that'll get you kicked out of the unit.

Same here. There have been people who had less than a 2.5 (the min NROTC requirements) go to Pensacola.

Needless to say keep doing well, don't sandbag too much (like myself), enjoy your time in college, stay on the right side of the law, and you should be alright.

navyterp67

pilot
Thanks for all the replies everybody!

I'm pretty new to this website, but I love how people answer quickly and how professional this website is.

Thanks for helping out a midshipman lol