• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about waivers

DimndDave14

Ok I have two questions:

1)What exactly is a waiver and when would you need one?

2)Would the waivers consist of medical problems or run in with the law? For example, would you need one for a speeding ticket or poor eye sight?

I have also heard through the grapevine that the USMC is going to hold two board dates for the 190 OCC does that mean anyone who sent a package in (considering the package is competitive) for the August 9 date has a good shot at getting in because of the fact they need a second board date to try and fill in spots?

phrogpilot73

DimndDave14 said:
1)What exactly is a waiver and when would you need one?
The military establishes rules for enlistment/comissioning/flight contracts, etc... If you fall outside these rules then you need a waiver. It's the military saying "That's ok, we'll still take you".

You can get them for just about anything. Medical/Legal/Age, etc... I have 20/15 vision, but medical keeps putting down 20/20. Why? Because if I degrade from 20/15 to 20/20 then I would need a waiver.
DimndDave14 said:
2)Would the waivers consist of medical problems or run in with the law? For example, would you need one for a speeding ticket or poor eye sight?
All of the above.

teufelsurfer

Helos in Paradise
Wavers are pretty much a running joke especially for pilots, since the physical standards are so high.

You get 'waivers' for anything from 'poor' eyesight (not being 20/20 in both eyes) to sub-perfect hearing (meaning you can't hear a cotton ball touch a piece of velvet from a hundred yards away), for speeding tickets, drugs, your age, criminal background, being salty, mental retardation, etc.

I have never heard of someone not being able to get a waiver for something, except for being some kind of terrorist mastermind or a huge pothead.

Having a waiver doesn't mean you're necessarily deficient in being able to do your duties in the military- there are plenty of current Marine pilots that have them in order to fly, especially for hearing (we all go slowly deaf being around the heavy equiptment) and vision (we're all going blind reading these big blue books).