• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about vision & ASTB

aesmith113

I am in the very beginning process of applying to OCS to hopefully become a pilot, but had a few questions along the way - unfortunately my officer recruiter around here is super busy and just doesn't have time to answer questions until I take the ASTB, which won't be for a few weeks, but I had a few questions in the meantime...I keep getting conflicting information, so maybe someone can clear it up...

First - my vision isn't perfect - probably around 20/60 or 20/70 - I've seen that you can become an NFO, but not a pilot with this vision - but have heard a couple different things - first that to be a pilot you have to have 20/20 vision - but then have also seen you can have vision as bad as 20/40 anyone have any insight? I haven't had my vision checked yet - so it could be closer to 20/40, but wanted to see if there is even a chance if it is...

Also, probably more importantly, does anyone know about laser eye surgery for becoming a pilot? I have seen a couple places that PRK is able to be waived, but Lasik is not - does anyone know if thats true? If so - do you need to have the PRK done before sending in your application?

Also - I have had 2 shoulder surgeries - nothing major - and I have full range of motion, still played tennis in college after both surgeries - does anyone have any insight into whether this would be an issue?

Lastly, about the ASTB - I cannot figure out how this test is scored and how well I am doing on my practice exams and whether I need to study my ass off to be scoring above 95% or what...Right now on the practice exams I am scoring around 85% on all the tests, but haven't spent a ton of time studying as of yet, and am definitely capable of more - I know it is scored on a scale of 1-9 but haven't seen anywhere how they determine whats a 4, 5, 6, etc... I graduated in the top 10% of my class in undergrad, so I think I am pretty competitive when it comes to my resume, but it seems really hard to figure out where you stand.

Finally, I have gotten incredibly conflicting information about the time-line for applying and being accepted into OCS - any insight into this? Before I started this all, I didn't realize how long it could take, but am still shocked that it could take an entire year just to apply - Does anyone know how long it takes for the board to review your application and all that? Also, I don't even know the complete order for all of this - I know taking the ASTB's is my first step, but is there a physical (like running etc) test I need to take, or get a physical done by a navy doctor?

Anyway, I know my recruiter will probably be able to answer most or all of these questions when I finally get to meet with him, but I just want to try to figure out what I'm getting myself in for...

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
PM me your email address...I have a spreadsheet that shows raw scores for each section converted into your numerical score.
It is necessary to know how many you got right on each individual section though.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Do a search for vision waivers, PRK, lasik etc etc. I have 20/400 uncorrected vision corrected to 20/20 with contact lenses, and I'm a pilot. I skated in with a soft contact lens waiver. I don't think the waiver exists for this anymore, but there are plenty of waivers in the nomi waiver guide to help people become physically qualed to fly or be an NFO.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
LASIK is only for winged aviators at the moment.

I think this is bad gouge. Literally just got back from the eye docs, and they've recently opened up a study for guys who are going into the pipeline to see how proficiency goes along with visual acuity (imagine that, when you see better you can fly better?!) I'll see if I can find something that outlines the study; I think there was also a thread about this not too long ago.

tjg3609

If you are trying to fly the fast movers, Lasik is not an option. The cut they make in your eye doesnt heel properly and can re-open under the G forces. PLK is acceptable thankfully. I go to OCS this summer, and my vision is 20/400.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
If you are trying to fly the fast movers, Lasik is not an option. The cut they make in your eye doesnt heel properly and can re-open under the G forces. PLK is acceptable thankfully. I go to OCS this summer, and my vision is 20/400.

If you are trying to fly anything, Lasik is not an option...PRK is acceptable thankfully. I go to OCS this summer, and my vision is 20/400.

Fixed for correctness.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Actually if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that the docs have written a few articles specifically stating that it is a common misconception about the flap. The flap is NOT the reason why LASIK wasn't approved, and in fact they are in the process of approving it. It had to do with resultant vision/night vision quality when compared with traditional PRK. If I could find the article I would, but I know I read it while at the NVG class at the HITU.

Basically I am telling you that your reasoning above is COMPLETELY WRONG.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I think this is bad gouge. Literally just got back from the eye docs, and they've recently opened up a study for guys who are going into the pipeline to see how proficiency goes along with visual acuity (imagine that, when you see better you can fly better?!) I'll see if I can find something that outlines the study; I think there was also a thread about this not too long ago.

Im pretty sure this only applies to those already in training or commissioned and awaiting training. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this applies to applicants.

aesmith113

Ok - one more question about PRK - doesn't really matter to me why lasik is ruled out, bottom line is, its not waiverable...

does anyone know if you could apply to be a pilot, get accepted and then pay for PRK on your own before getting attending OCS? even though I do want PRK either way, I wouldn't pay for it on my own immediately if I am going into the Navy as an NFO since my vision qualifies me for that without the surgery & I don't really feel the need to spend $4500 on a surgery that I want, but don't immediately need...

nugget61

pilot
Ok - one more question about PRK - doesn't really matter to me why lasik is ruled out, bottom line is, its not waiverable...

does anyone know if you could apply to be a pilot, get accepted and then pay for PRK on your own before getting attending OCS? even though I do want PRK either way, I wouldn't pay for it on my own immediately if I am going into the Navy as an NFO since my vision qualifies me for that without the surgery & I don't really feel the need to spend $4500 on a surgery that I want, but don't immediately need...

Lasik is waiverable, but you'd have to get into the study, do the paperwork yadayadayada... PRK should be easier since its more standardized right now for applicants.

You can apply, get the Pro-rec and then pay for the surgery yourself - thats what I did. I knew I wouldn't pass NAMI without it and couldn't count on a 3 month stash job after OCS to heal if the Navy paid for it after OCS. I was strongly warned (but I don't know if its true or not) that you cannot get the surgery done if you have already FS.
The one major downside is that they don't have to hold your PR while you are waiting out the healing time to get the waiver (which you have to have the paperwork done) before you can FS.