• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

questions about life as a NAVAL OFFICER

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeaser

If you have powerpoint, this presentation gives an overview of P-3 career progression, mentions places for shore duty, etc. http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers43/VP_Detailer_Brief.pps

To find out what sea duty is like for P-3s I did a search of the forum. Initial sea duty for P-3 NFO and pilots is basically the same as far as how long and deployments. From what I've picked up, there are lots of 1-3 week outs, and a 6 month out, 12 month in for the major detachment/deployment. John, the webmaster, is a P-3 pilot at his first duty station. I've read posts on here from him saying that he thinks he gets a lot more family time than jet pilots. Jets go out whenever the carrier does (I'm saying that because I foresee a change in how they are going to schedule deployments), plus they do all their other runs for training. If you're hoping to not have to move much, Prowlers might be a good choice. They are at Whidbey Island, WA (although there is a possibility of going to Japan with those). There are so many pros and cons to each type. Not that I've applied or been accepted yet, but I have some pretty tricky negotiations with my husband because he wants stability for the kids (we've got a boy who'll be 3 in July and a girl born this past November). He's given up a lot for me to be able to pursue my career (I've got 7 years enlisted and am doing some of my "sea duty" at a remote base in England so I can actually see and feed my baby while she's a baby, he REALLY hates it here), so I've got to try to give back to him. He wants us to be in one place before the kids are out of elementary school and I'll do my best, even if I have to do my 2nd sea duty overseas unaccompanied (because I doubt I could drag him anywhere but Germany overseas). Its a great job with more benefits than you realize until you are there (can't really explain the military "family" until you are a part of it) and to me it is worth it. If you have any specific ?s you want to ask me (I'm good at researching) I'll do my best, just e-mail me at mbeaser@yahoo.com (please put something about airwarriors in the subject so I don't delete it as spam :))
Missy, IT1 USN

Status
Not open for further replies.