• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about joining

goVT22

Hey everyone,

I'm 22-years-old and a college graduate. I've been working as a tv news producer for a little more than a year now, but office life just isn't fulfilling. I've started looking into joining either the navy or air force. Just trying to find some friends who are already in it to chat about what life is like in the military. If you have skype or something, please let me know. I'd really like to talk to some current members and hopefully make a few friends out of it. Thanks.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You'll find most of the answers to what you're looking for by browsing the forum. If you have specific questions ask them here- you'll get better answers from more people that way.

FYI VT-22 is a jet training squadron in Kingsville...

Renegade One

None
Hey everyone...I'm 22-years-old and a college graduate. I've been working as a tv news producer for a little more than a year now, but office life just isn't fulfilling.
Okay...
I've started looking into joining either the navy or air force.
So...we're your "bailout option" after life in the real world? Probably not the best motivation we've ever seen...but probably not unique either. Just understand that this was "the only thing I ever really wanted to do" for a lot of the folks you'll be competing against.
P.S.: I believe the commonly used "style manual" for the media would have you CAPITALIZE Navy and Air Force in the context in which you have used them...referring to the United States Navy and the United States Air Force.
I'd really like to talk to some current members and hopefully make a few friends out of it. Thanks.
This is where I bow out and let the "current members" friend and Skype you.
Good luck. Certainly, it's better to be late than never!;)

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I would just lurk here and read a bunch of threads. There's a lot of gold in dem hills if you go looking for it. You should be able to get a good grasp on things by just reading a lot of what's already on here.

Welcome to AW.

Dmavs

NPQ unfortunately does not= "Navy Pilot Qualified"
After you've done what revan1013 suggested and you're still serious about this decision, you want to make sure you're medically qualified per Navy standards. You don't want any surprises down the road so check out the Doc's corner threads, they will help out immensely.

By the way: The guys with the little gold wings under their avatar?..Yeah they've got 'em in real life too.

Welcome to the site fellow hopeful. :D

RiseR 25

Take the ASTB at your local officer recruiter's office (for the Air Force the AFOQT). Those should give you a decent indication of how well your brain can soak up and process information in a limited amount of time. If you have any questions feel free to contact me, no I am not a Naval Aviator.

exNavyOffRec

Take the ASTB at your local officer recruiter's office (for the Air Force the AFOQT). Those should give you a decent indication of how well your brain can soak up and process information in a limited amount of time. If you have any questions feel free to contact me, no I am not a Naval Aviator.

The ASTB in most cases cannot be given at the local recruiting office anymore, it must be given on an NMCI machine and Navy Recruiting in many areas has transitioned to MRI for the recruiters which does not support the ASTB, however the officer recruiter can set you up for the exam with the test administrator.

In some areas the AFOQT is given at MEPS, that is the case in my area.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
What are you looking to do in the Navy? That's going to kind of influence the information that you get...