• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

questions about joining

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve23

Hi everyone,

I just came across this forum a few days ago and wanted to get your input on some things. I´m new here, so sorry if this isn´t the right place to post this.

In May 2006 I will be getting my master´s degree in linguistics (specialization in Spanish and Portuguese) and I´m seriously considering pursuing a career in the military. I have a friend who has been Navy enlisted for the last nine years in crypto and he´s told me a little about it. He´s in an NROTC program right now to get his commission, and after talking to him I´m thinking about going for a commission in the Navy. I´m still looking at the other branches, but right now I think the Navy is what would fit me best.

From what I´ve read in the papers and in other posts on this forum, it looks like the Navy is cutting back right now, so I was wondering how difficult it is to get accepted in crypto (or I guess you call it Information Warfare now) or intel. I can see how the Navy would prefer taking enlisted sailors over civilians for commissioning, so if anyone has had the experience of going from civilian to officer via OCS, it would be great to hear what the process is like, and maybe also what you think my chances are.

I´m 24, single, no kids, and I´m looking for something different and challenging. And getting a chance to travel in the fleet wouldn´t be bad either. It would be easy to just stay in school, get my Ph.D. in a few years, and get a job teaching at a college, but it´s hard to convince myself that phonetics and phonology (the areas I specialize in) actually matter in the grand scheme of things, especially with all that´s happening in the world. I don´t know, I would say I´m in a fact finding phase right now, and I thought you guys would be the right people to ask. Also, I realize that I don´t really know what life is like on a day to day basis for officers in intel or crypto, so if you can fill in the blanks for me there, that would be great.

One more thing: I´m out of the country all summer doing research, so I won´t be able to contact a recruiter (except through email) until August, when I´ll be back home. So, if you can think of questions I should ask the recruiter or if you have any suggestions for what to do or not do when I contact him/her, that would be great to know too. Otherwise, general advice that you might have would be great too.

Thanks.

Steve

TurbosaurusRex

Air Predator Extraordinaire
Just do it

It's always worth the try. The worst they can do is say "No."

A real good friend of mine just got cut after API because he was about a point away from the cut-off. He's a computer wiz... even built a combat YP sofware program for the Academy while he was there. He tried to redesignate to Crypto and they said they didn't need anyone.

But I do have good news...

I just saved a bunch of money on...

Nah, really... don't let anything discourage you from trying. SOMEONE is going to get a crypto spot SOMETIME... It might as well be you

Jedj

I went the OCS route out of college, and it was the best thing I ever did. I don't know much about the crypto or intel part of life except for the interaction I had with the intel officers that were in my squadron. I can tell you what their life is like from a pilots perspective, but not much on the in's and out's of how to become an intel guy. I can tell you that intel is one of the most important jobs in the navy and all of the intel guys I know have a good time with what they do. If you have any questions let me know, best of luck with your decision. As far as recruiters go, be honest with them and demand that they be honest with you. I dealt with a master chief when I started and he was great. Just make sure you talk with an officer recruiter. When I first looked into the navy, I didn't know any better and went to a building that said navy on the side. I went in and told the guy I wanted to be a pilot, he said that if you were over five foot eight then you were too tall. It turned out to be and enlisted recruiter and he didn't know much, if anything about getting a commssion, let alone being a pilot. Nothing against him, it just wasn't his job description. Point of this, just know where to go and know what you want.

steve23

recruiter contacts?

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Good stuff to know. By the way, does anyone know of an officer recruiter I can contact by email? I´ve tried to get one through navy.com but so far I´ve only been in touch with an enlisted recruiter who doesn´t seem too knowledgable about the OCS process. If you´ve had good experiences with someone before, I would appreciate it.

planejane

Dawson

I am beginning to put my package together for Intel. I read your post about Intel being with the squadrons. I do have a question. Did the Intel officers go with the squadrons most of the time and if so, how long were you and Intel usually gone for?

I'm an E-5 trying to make O-1.

Thanks!

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Steve,
You need to speak to an Officer Programs recruiter. Most big cities have an office. We had them in Columbus and Cleveland, OH and Indianapolis. There aren't as many Officer recruiting stations as there are on the enlisted side though. Try looking in the government section of the phone book. Don't let an enlisted recruiter talk you into enlisting (unless that's what you want anyway) with a vague discussion about having a better chance of getting picked up for an officer program soon after enlisting. It can happen, but it's tough. Most that go E to O were sh*t hot sailors before they tried for the commission. It usually (not always) takes at least a few years of sustained superior performance as a sailor to have a shot at a commission.
One other thought: I believe one of the members here was an officer recruiter at some point. Try looking up Wink and seeing if you can send him a private message. Good luck. Glad to see someone who's looking at the Navy as a good job AND a good choice as an American.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
planejane said:
I am beginning to put my package together for Intel. I read your post about Intel being with the squadrons. I do have a question. Did the Intel officers go with the squadrons most of the time and if so, how long were you and Intel usually gone for?

I'm an E-5 trying to make O-1.

Thanks!
While I am not an Intel officer, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D
But seriously, I am currently at a command with a whole bunch of intel guys and I got to be pretty good buddies with the spy in my sqdn. A typical first tour for an newly minted intel officer (O-1 type) just out of NIOBC is as the air intel officer for a sqdn. When they are assigned to that sqdn, they deploy with the sqdn just like everyone else. An air wing sqdn does about 6-12 mo of workups (at sea/away from home maybe 30-40% of that time) and then does a 6 month or so cruise. When they come home they get 6 mo of "down" time. A P-3 sqdn is something generally similar. The new intel JO might be assigned to a CVN instead of a sqdn, and the overall schedule is the same as an airwing, but there would probably be more sea time involved.

astrov99

NOT a flyboy
Information Warfare is a good community. I got commissioned last year, but had been working in the field enlisted for six years before that. What Penguin said is spot on. Do not let a recruiter talk you into enlisting to "improve your chances." It takes years of sustained superior performance in your field to really have a better chance. You have more of a chance of getting picked up off the street than you do as a freshly enlisted Seaman.

H60Gunr

I don't want to turn this thread into an Intel post but based on the experiences of others and whats been already said, what backgrounds are more prevelant in Intel O-1s coming out of NIOBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.