• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions About Getting a Pilot Slot Out Of NROTC

navy09

None
We were still having people get accepted to Advanced Standing in May of 2006. However I will say that aside from the folks that got picked up at that time, I haven't seen anyone else get picked up.

That's what we've seen too. Advanced standing is almost non-existent, either you pick up a scholarship by the end of sophomore year of you get the boot. I met a 1/C on cruise this summer who was advanced standing, but they are very few and far between.

vulcanx

Banned
That's what we've seen too. Advanced standing is almost non-existent, either you pick up a scholarship by the end of sophomore year of you get the boot. I met a 1/C on cruise this summer who was advanced standing, but they are very few and far between.
Yep,

I was told scholarship or the boot.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yep,

I was told scholarship or the boot.

Back in 89-90, I was College Progamr and we were told the same thing. So I worked hard in school and picked up a 2 year NROTC scholarship. All my college program buds, all got picked up anyway.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's my point, NROTC does not get leftovers because Navy sets a quota spread out fairly equitably among at least two commissioning sources (USNA and NROTC). USNA does this because they are chartered (poor choice of word, but you get the point) to commission Unrestricted Line Officers and have to feed all URL designators. If the Navy needed 1200 aviators to meet quota one year, and 1100 USNA guys were qualified and requested SNA, they all would not get it and only leave 100 for NROTC and none for OCS. I know, because several SWO friends who actually ended up lineal numbers ahead of me (which was not very high) that wanted pilot but they ran out of slots by the time they got to them.

USAFA's charter focuses primarily on commissioning officers who will become rated. Or so the rep told us, and everyone who is qualified "can" get a flying slot. So in the scenario above, AFROTC only gets what's left after USAFA selects.

Are you still stashed @ school? If so smack the real tall 4/c kid in the unit for me and tell him to call home once in awhile...

Ah ok, I misread your point initially.

I actually left two weeks ago and am chilling (well, not really since A-pool isn't fun any more) in Pcola waiting for IFS, but I will talk to my 1/c friends and tell them to smack a certain 4/c for you ;)