• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about DCO

Travia

GODSBABY
DCO Program

I am having a difficult time finding information concerning the DCO program. Based on what my recruiter communicated to me, I do not go through the 12 week training; instead during my monthly drills I will complete the training. That really bothers me since I feel that I will miss out on the true Navy experience. What about the technical training? (skills of a sea warrior, learn to handle and shoot the M9 service pistol and M870 shotgun properly and seamanship, basic water survival. How can I excel as an Officer when I will miss this type of important training?

Can someone please help me?

Many Blessings
Travia

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am having a difficult time finding information concerning the DCO program. Based on what my recruiter communicated to me, I do not go through the 12 week training; instead during my monthly drills I will complete the training. That really bothers me since I feel that I will miss out on the true Navy experience. What about the technical training? (skills of a sea warrior, learn to handle and shoot the M9 service pistol and M870 shotgun properly and seamanship, basic water survival. How can I excel as an Officer when I will miss this type of important training?

Many Blessings
Travia

Make sure you are talking to a Reserve Officer recruiter. You do not have to take the astb for direct commission to the Reserve Supply or Intel programs. It is true that you perform most your training just on weekends and yes it is true that you miss out on the intensity and sometimes, quality, full time training provides. Once commissioned though, you can request active duty orders for training courses that you would complete full time with active duty officers. If you have more questions post them in the Reserve forum where some reserve guys can help you out.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Funny I never shot the M870 and am doing just fine.:D If you go Intel or Supply, you are not an unrestricted line officer and therefore your skill to kill is not really important in that billet. PS-An M9 qual takes all of two hours if there is a large group qualifying and you are last to go.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That really bothers me since I feel that I will miss out on the true Navy experience. What about the technical training? (skills of a sea warrior, learn to handle and shoot the M9 service pistol and M870 shotgun properly and seamanship, basic water survival. How can I excel as an Officer when I will miss this type of important training?[/FONT][/SIZE]

Many Blessings
Travia

Then why not go to OCS then? You are the one choosing to pursue a DCO opportunity. I daresay other things are more important to your quest to excel and experience the true Navy.

This forum has questions asked by many who have come before you so please search search feature and you'll find a lot of discussion about the DCO program. Meanwhile, please ask your question only once. You've posted same question twice in different threads and Wink (former recruiter) recommends this thread as proper location so both posts are now merged with the separate answers they were garnering. In the future, it is only necessary (and permitted) to ask a question once.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then why not go to OCS then? You are the one choosing to pursue a DCO opportunity. I daresay other things are more important to your quest to excel and experience the true Navy.

His bio says his age is 38.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
the ATSB isn't required for Intel DCO!?! interesting...

that would be nice because I haven't taken a math or physics course in years.

looks like after i hear about the E-4 IS results and a mobilization to somewhere sandy i'll be applying...

dephyler

Contributor
the ATSB isn't required for Intel DCO!?! interesting...

that would be nice because I haven't taken a math or physics course in years.

looks like after i hear about the E-4 IS results and a mobilization to somewhere sandy i'll be applying...

It is a requirement. I think the above might just be typos?

BigRed389

None

Many Blessings
Travia

Other than say...a SWCC or RIVRON sailor, I have a hard time imagining anybody actually NEEDING to be highly proficient in ALL of those skill sets.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
for OCS or Reserve DCO??

I was going DCO but another kid taking the test was trying to go Intel in OCS...so I'm assuming it would apply for both.

Remember with the ASTB the PFAR and FOFAR don't really count for Intel, as those are only for flight applicants, although you still take those sections. They weigh the AQR and OAR.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was going DCO but another kid taking the test was trying to go Intel in OCS...so I'm assuming it would apply for both.
There may be a change I was unaware of. As I recall the astb was not required for reserve Intel DCO. In fact, the astb was not required for any reserve DCO program. That was in part because you were being directly commissioned for you career experience in the field, or close to it in any case, and most DCO folks had grad degrees. The astb has always been required for Intel OCS. Did a reserve recruiter say you had to take the test specifically for intel DCO or were you applying for other programs as well? If I got this wrong I apologize for the bum gouge.