• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions About Being Autistic

HeadInTheClouds

Hello everyone. New guy to the forums here. If this has already been addressed somewhere, sorry for creating a new thread. I looked but didn't see much that addressed being autistic in the military.

Anyways, my big question is, will being autistic kill any chance of becoming an aviator, even if it is an extremely high functioning form? I've been diagnosed as autistic, but it's never truly hindered me in life. Also, if anyone is wondering, no, I've never taken medication for autism, EVER. It's also worth mentioning that I perform very well in my academics. In fact, I currently hold a 4.0 GPA. Besides that, I get along with my peers just fine and actually enjoy making friends, which is unusual for those on the autistic spectrum.

My autism is so minor, that many people would never suspect I have such a condition. I actually wouldn't be surprised if I could see a doctor now and him reclassify me as non-autistic. Would it be best to do that first before going through the military entrance process? I know this might sound weird to those who think autism is a permanent condition, but autistic symptoms can improve with age.

If any of you have questions about me or my condition, feel free to ask. I will be on later to address anyone's questions/concerns. Thank you.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
HITC,
Any of the autism spectrum disorders, including Asperger's syndrome, are disqualifying for military service. In order to even enter the military, you will have to get a favorable waiver decision. Aviation would be a another, higher hurdle. Getting through both would be, in my opinion, nearly insurmountable.
Only way I see of getting around it would be to have the diagnosis overturned.
R/

exNavyOffRec

we had a guy in my department that years ago that just seemed a bit different, one of the CPO's had a nephew with Asperger's, brought his concerns to medical, and evaluation was done and that was the fastest medical discharge I ever saw.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Neither the NAMI psychiatry or neurology waiver guides say anything about autism spectrum disorders, nor any developmental disorders. I skimmed down and didn't even see a section that sounded remotely relevant.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc...avier Guide Feb 2015/14_Psychiatry_150209.pdf
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc...Wavier Guide Feb 2015/10_Neurology_150127.pdf

This isn't to say that you're in the clear.

How old are you now, and how old were you when diagnosed? Were you diagnosed with Asperger's or full blown (Kanner) Autism? Obviously you aren't on the developmentally impaired side, but were you in any kind of special education classes when younger?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
we had a guy in my department that years ago that just seemed a bit different, one of the CPO's had a nephew with Asperger's, brought his concerns to medical, and evaluation was done and that was the fastest medical discharge I ever saw.
"Concerns" hopefully documented by the Sailor having difficulty with either his job or the people in his shop, I hope. Otherwise, that's some epic Blue Falconing there. I recall one of my guys also being a little, well, "off." Odd. Weird. Quirky. Call it what you will. But in a totally harmless way. He was a good kid and did his job, so who the heck cared? I didn't go running to Medical; I reenlisted him.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

"Concerns" hopefully documented by the Sailor having difficulty with either his job or the people in his shop, I hope. Otherwise, that's some epic Blue Falconing there. I recall one of my guys also being a little, well, "off." Odd. Weird. Quirky. Call it what you will. But in a totally harmless way. He was a good kid and did his job, so who the heck cared? I didn't go running to Medical; I reenlisted him.

I have a hard time believing that Asperger's in a form high functioning enough to get in the Navy to begin with would result in being separated so quickly. Chances are there was something else was actually wrong with him according to the docs. Contrary to what they might say, people who have kids or relatives with (insert medical issue) are not experts on it, and hearing stories like that makes me cringe.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I have a hard time believing that Asperger's in a form high functioning enough to get in the Navy to begin with would result in being separated so quickly. Chances are there was something else was actually wrong with him according to the docs. Contrary to what they might say, people who have kids or relatives with (insert medical issue) are not experts on it, and hearing stories like that makes me cringe.
Or somebody with a legitimate medical/developmental/mental condition managed to slip through the rigorous screening at MEPS...
That never happens...

exNavyOffRec

There was some difficulty, and it was causing others around him to have issues with him, I didn't observe him first hand the CPO that had the light go off and took his concerns to medical ended up really taking care of this kid until he was out, my thought was his nephew must have had someone treat him shitty so he was going to make sure this kid was taken care of.

exNavyOffRec

you would be surprised what gets past MEPS, that just makes us who have seen kids get turned away for minor items even more irritated.

MEPS goes by "diagnosed by a doctor" and they go through the kids so fast most is yes/no, next please. I just thought the kid was off but I never dealt with anyone who had Aspergers, I figured he probably grew up in a weird family or something, I don't know long after he went to medical the official diagnosis came back, but from diagnosis to discharge was quick.

There are many kids who's parents rarely take them to a doctor as long as they do ok in school and don't get hurt, I put many in the USN who were like that.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The reality is that MEPS will only know what recruits tell them, especially when it comes to mental disorders. As you have experienced, they do a cursory examination that would identify any glaring physical disabilities/ailments that restrict normal motion and sensory perception, but beyond that it is strictly an honor system.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was some difficulty, and it was causing others around him to have issues with him, I didn't observe him first hand the CPO that had the light go off and took his concerns to medical ended up really taking care of this kid until he was out, my thought was his nephew must have had someone treat him shitty so he was going to make sure this kid was taken care of.
OK, cool. I admit I'm biased and not a doc, but the initial phrasing made it seem that it could have been that or someone just thinking "I don't like the weird kid" and having the means to act on it. Granted, some people with some mental issues don't belong in uniform at all. It either effects their ability to do their job, or adds unnecessary stress to everyone they're deployed with as they walk on eggshells.

That said, I'm concerned that society is moving towards a tendency to pathologize basically every quirk and character flaw out there, and wouldn't put it past some medical bureaucrat to then just see "abnormal" and unilaterally ban people. Not that I haven't known plenty of docs who do God's work and help people instead of screwing them over. But I'm also convinced that a significant fraction of the 75 percent of American youth we turn away could probably do the job somewhat well. Not that my opinion means anything.

texags

pilot
It will only be a hinder you if you let it. Use your best judgement... Not saying you should lie but I might leave the mention of autism off your application. Almost everyone has some symptoms of autism (tapping your foot, nervous tics, pacing, etc).

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It will only be a hinder you if you let it. Use your best judgement... Not saying you should lie but I might leave the mention of autism off your application. Almost everyone has some symptoms of autism (tapping your foot, nervous tics, pacing, etc).
Says the guy with the profile pic making fun of retards...
Nice...
Irony?