• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AST119

Hello! I'm a junior in high school and I will be applying for a NROTC scholarship as early as humanly possible this year.

My main question is this: I'm enrolled in a super competitive high school and I'm taking a lot of challenging (read: AP and Honors) classes. Because of this, my GPA isn't going to be as high this year as it was in the past (down to a 3.4-3.6 from a 3.8, with a B- in Honors Chemistry). How will this affect my chances at a scholarship? Will the fact that I'm challenging myself by taking more difficult courses show up anywhere in my application?

Bah! Speaking of "applying as soon as humanly possible," when would that be for a person in the graduating class of 2005? Sometime after January?
banghead_125.gif
They only have the stats for 2004 up on the official site.

Thanks in advance to the folks out there with the answers.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I would stick with the higher level courses. It does show that you chose to challenge yourself. You also need to get involved (if you are not already) in extracuricular activities and if possoible hold a leadership pos in them.

The fact that the dates for 05 are not out yet are a good sign as far as you being prepared early. GL

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I am in the ROTC recruiting program. Keep up the honors and AP courses. Trust me, they look better. The board wants to see that you challenged yourself in high school and that you didn't settle in easier classes. As for applying, you can do that right now. Just don't expect and answer right away. We are still processing the current ('04) class. But it's always a good idea to get started early. Contact the Officer recruiter in your district and they will get you started. Good luck.

STA21pilot

It doesn't hurt you to go to an NROTC school especially if you can get a full ride. You might also just look into going to the Academy if you have the time. And if you can't get what you really want. There's nothing wrong with going to a JC for 2 years and knocking out some pre-req's that everyone has to take at a cheaper price and just getting straight into your college from there. That'll lighten your load and stress a little bit, and not affect the outcome of your NROTC chances.

Just keep your options open.

BYPASS

I've heard that 4-yr. NROTC scholarships can be received early, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is true. I've had my application in for several months and still nothing. I suppose if you're awarded one by ISD (Immediate Scholarship Decision) then that would mean you'd obviously receive one early; otherwise I'm not sure if anyone is granted one before February. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Patrick Daly

I don't know if this will help any but I'll toss it out there. I applied for the Marine Option scholarship in late October of my senior year, and found out that I got it in early March. I'm not sure how the Navy works, but I believe its like a rolling admissions process, so the earlier you get yours in the better as they have more scholarships to give out in the beginning.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.