• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question to guys with a low GPA

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm sure someone has done it, but OCS is where a lot of guys get picked up with <3.0 GPAs. I don't think I've me/heard of a BDCPer with less than 3.0 (other than blarged. He is IW).

Does that mean no shot? Hell no. Apply and keep applying until it's too late for BDCP and then apply OCS. But honestly, for BDCP you are not going to be competitive with less than 3.0 and ESPECIALLY for aviation which is de-facto VERY selective because of its popularity.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Or enlist with a degree and go OCS.

Why would you enlist with a degree??? Stay a civilian, and apply for OCS. No enlisting required. More than likely if you have aspirations of becoming a pilot/NFO, you will not be satisfied with the enlisted life no matter your rate. Plus, if you don't get accepted once you are enlisted, you're stuck for 4 years or longer depending on your contract.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Why would you enlist with a degree??? Stay a civilian, and apply for OCS. No enlisting required. More than likely if you have aspirations of becoming a pilot/NFO, you will not be satisfied with the enlisted life no matter your rate. Plus, if you don't get accepted once you are enlisted, you're stuck for 4 years or longer depending on your contract.

Well, once you finish college, take the ASTB, and get that "career," what else can you do to really improve your package? Your GPA is pretty much locked, extracurriculars look like fluff after 3 or 4 and an entry level job after a Bachelors isn't exactly impressive. If the guy truly wants to serve his country and cannot get in as an Officer, this is his next option. Enlist, kick ass at your job, and get good reccomendations from people within the system you are trying to join.

An LOR from your CO looks way better than Uncle Larry the SWO LT who you met once in grade school. Plus, as a college grad looking for a job in the Navy as an E-Dog, he will have way more options available...he can pretty much hold out for any job he wants. And get a bonus for it, as well as go in as an E-3. Aircrew life is pretty good as far as Enlisted jobs go...especially in my community. The work you do as an Airman in the Navy is no worse than the shit many entry-level college graduates get to do in the civvy world, and the pay/benefits can be much better (as well as the job security/satisfaction)

Or he could stop sucking and get his grades up above a 3.0...and lose some weight...and get in shape...

Pickle

BUDU

I just got pro-rec'd first time around for NFO in May with a 2.79. I got pretty good ASTB scores (59, 7/8/7), but my LOR's were just from people who knew me--one prior Army O-2 (I think? He never talked to me about his Army days, just his time at VMI), but he was primarily a reference as a high school teacher. I think a big part of it was my motivational statement. As soon as I showed it to my recruiter, he said "Leave it exactly as it is"--I spent half of it pointing out the leadership I've learned from my theatre major, especially as a techie.

You really never know. My parents will tell you that as soon as I submitted my application I started talking about Plan B. Never expected to get in with my GPA. It happened. Very well could for you too.

efini_kid

Or he could stop sucking and get his grades up above a 3.0...and lose some weight...and get in shape...

Pickle

This will be the route that I take. I have setup my Fall Semester to allow me the greatest chance of a 4.0, which will definitely get me over the 3.0 mark.