• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question to guys with a low GPA

efini_kid

Currently I have a 2.93 GPA with 57 credit hours completed with a major of International politics and security. Im not looking to submit my package from at least 1 more semester, i need to work on my physical fitness and drop some weight, so this will allow me to improve both my grades and my fitness.

My question is:

With a not so great GPA, how were you guys able to set yourself apart from the pack? I mean if a 2.7 is the bare bone minimum how was a guy/ girl with a 2.8 able to get pro rec'd? can you guys give me some advice on how to stand out?

mods feel free to move this post if needed. just thought this might be a good thread for applicants you arent total studs

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Currently I have a 2.93 GPA with 57 credit hours completed with a major of International politics and security. Im not looking to submit my package from at least 1 more semester, i need to work on my physical fitness and drop some weight, so this will allow me to improve both my grades and my fitness.

My question is:

With a not so great GPA, how were you guys able to set yourself apart from the pack? I mean if a 2.7 is the bare bone minimum how was a guy/ girl with a 2.8 able to get pro rec'd? can you guys give me some advice on how to stand out?

mods feel free to move this post if needed. just thought this might be a good thread for applicants you arent total studs

I got in with a 2.52 GPA in a non-engineering major and I am now an SNA chilling in A-Pool. My stats are somewhere around this place.

It can be done..

efini_kid

u got into the BDCP program with a 2.52?

how did u do that? what were ur astb scores, as well as ur prt scores?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I didn't do BDCP..just straight OCS. Nowhere in your post did you say you meant BDCP.

gotta_fly

pilot
I didn't do BDCP..just straight OCS. Nowhere in your post did you say you meant BDCP.

That's probably because it's in the BDCP forum... :icon_tong

To the OP: Your application will look more competitive if you take the time to spell out "you" and "your". ;)

Standing by to stand by has me all full of piss and vinegar this afternoon.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

My question is:

1) Rock the ASTB
2) Volunteer and get leadership experience
3) LOR's from people who know you well
4) Again, rock the ASTB

Go Horns

I got pro rec'd in May with a 2.9 in History. It can be done. Basically the highpoints of my app: I had leadership positions in organizations all through school, participated in intramurals, had kickass references, and took the time to track down some interviews. Oh and I did decently on the ASTB too. Granted, I didn't apply for BDCP which I hear is a lot more competitive, but I feel that these are some things that seemed to help offset my low GPA which, since I had already graduated, I couldn't change. Take a shot at it and good luck.

blarged

ready
I glanced over the other responses and didn't see anybody specifically say they got in with a < 3.00 gpa for BDCP

So here I am (accepted with a 2.9 gpa)

Actually, instead of writing it all out again ...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=564125#post564125

Basically what my answer to this question would be. I wasn't accepted the first time, but was the second time. What helped me the most (I speculate) is my work experience through internships.

efini_kid

as far as LOR's go, should i be concerned that mine will most likely not becoming from a former officer? Mine will be coming from teachers, bosses, and family friends. I might only have 1 coming from a former sub commander, but that is not a guarantee.

With regards to leadership and organization membership, I am an active member in the Republican Party ( in my county), Student Government, I am rushing a fraternity this fall with hopes of gaining networking contacts and leadership opportunities over the next couple years.

And finally, I have been working for Marriott for the last 2.5 years. Currently I am a front desk supervisor. So my main duties are to perfrom the normal front desk duties, but I also train new employees on SOP and I am the senior man when no manager is on duty (usually night time). Should I be looking to find a better "leadership" type job or will this work?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
as far as LOR's go, should i be concerned that mine will most likely not becoming from a former officer? Mine will be coming from teachers, bosses, and family friends. I might only have 1 coming from a former sub commander, but that is not a guarantee.

With regards to leadership and organization membership, I am an active member in the Republican Party ( in my county), Student Government, I am rushing a fraternity this fall with hopes of gaining networking contacts and leadership opportunities over the next couple years.

And finally, I have been working for Marriott for the last 2.5 years. Currently I am a front desk supervisor. So my main duties are to perfrom the normal front desk duties, but I also train new employees on SOP and I am the senior man when no manager is on duty (usually night time). Should I be looking to find a better "leadership" type job or will this work?

Get LORs from people who know you......officers are better, but not better than people that know you well.

Supervisory jobs are excellent! That is what you will do as an officer in the military. Hit that stuff hard in your motivational statement and you will do fine. Good Luck

blarged

ready
I would say try to get at least 1 LOR from someone in the community you are shooting for. It worked out well for me, that my OR went through OCS with this guy years ago and hooked me up to do a phone interview. Since then, I have stayed in contact with the IWO which has been an unexpected bonus.

Biggest thing is just apply as soon as you can. With a < 3.0 gpa, chances are you aren't going to get accepted the first time.

Don't let it get you down and go at it again. Applying a second time seems to me that it is just as good, if not better, than a good LOR. It shows the board you are serious about becoming a commissioned Officer.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Take a professional writing class, please, for the sake of humanity...

Make yourself attractive to the board (fat, slow, and stupid are not exactly what they want) and do well on the ASTB.

Or enlist with a degree and go OCS.