• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question that my unit hasn't answered yet.

sickboy

pilot
I just got my orders for cruise today, and my cruise is scheduled to end more than a week before my flight home. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? do I still get paid for this time? (if not can whatever I end up doing be put on my travel claim?) etc.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Gov't plane tickets are easily transferable. Talk to the midshipman coordinator and admin department at whatever unit you attach to after you get there and they'll be able to change the ticket. Don't fudge the dates on your travel claim - put down when you actually took the plane/bus/whatever there and when you actually traveled back home.

IrishEagle85

You might also be entitled to per diem in between the time you detach from your service command and the time it takes to get back home. I picked a month of per diem last summer during my 2/c cruise, and my unit was pissed as hell :p

navy09

None
Actually, the unit is supposed to book your return flight about 2 weeks after the end of your cruise. That way there's a ticket paid for and the ship you're on just has to adjust the date for it because the "ending date" of your cruise can vary by a few days.

Depending on what your unit and ship say, you can ask for a later flight to spend extra time in port after your orders are up.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, the unit is supposed to book your return flight about 2 weeks after the end of your cruise. That way there's a ticket paid for and the ship you're on just has to adjust the date for it because the "ending date" of your cruise can vary by a few days.

Depending on what your unit and ship say, you can ask for a later flight to spend extra time in port after your orders are up.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure if you do that you have to pay for your flight back. If you're being forced to stay somewhere because the Navy can't/won't get you an earlier flight that's one thing, but if you are choosing effectively to take a vacation, the way I understood it you have to cover the costs.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Yeah but I'm pretty sure if you do that you have to pay for your flight back. If you're being forced to stay somewhere because the Navy can't/won't get you an earlier flight that's one thing, but if you are choosing effectively to take a vacation, the way I understood it you have to cover the costs.

I was a middie many moons ago, but my unit let take two weeks of leave after getting off the ship before flying home. I had it coordinated before the school year was even out. I wandered all over Norway and Sweden and the Navy paid for the ticket home all the same.

navy09

None

I've done it and I know many others that have as well- all you have to do is get them to move the ticket they've already paid for. And squorch is right, with ROTC Mids it's not "leave" so much as vacation.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've done it and I know many others that have as well- all you have to do is get them to move the ticket they've already paid for. And squorch is right, with ROTC Mids it's not "leave" so much as vacation.

Weird, we were always told if we wanted to change the flight it would be at our expense.

sickboy

pilot
Thanks for the responses, I wasn't really thinking about trying to get an earlier flight home (the woman just left me, so I'm free to do (kinda) what I want). My cruise ends in Portugal, so I thought it would be a good chance to at least explore the region.

navy09

None
Weird, we were always told if we wanted to change the flight it would be at our expense.

Ya, either the guys on your ship or at your unit were dicks. It's their job to book your flight and they can book it for whenever they want. If you want to be really sneaky, you could even go to the ticket desk in the airport and try to trade that ticket in for one on a later date.

IrishEagle85

I just had a thought.

Where is your cruise ending at? If you're abroad, why not take the extra week to enjoy whatever country your in? Take advantage of every opportunity you get and experience all you can.

Example, 2/C cruise our plane from ROTA, Spain arriving in Barcelona was scheduled to land an hour after our plane from Barcelona back to the States was scheduled to take off, and there were no other planes to the States until the next day. Of the six midshipmen, five of us took our bags to security, and caught a bus out into Barcelona for the night. The other kid was a huge tool and stayed behind at the airport.

sickboy

pilot
I just had a thought.

Where is your cruise ending at? If you're abroad, why not take the extra week to enjoy whatever country your in? Take advantage of every opportunity you get and experience all you can.

Example, 2/C cruise our plane from ROTA, Spain arriving in Barcelona was scheduled to land an hour after our plane from Barcelona back to the States was scheduled to take off, and there were no other planes to the States until the next day. Of the six midshipmen, five of us took our bags to security, and caught a bus out into Barcelona for the night. The other kid was a huge tool and stayed behind at the airport.

That's kinda what I was thinking, I'm ending in Porto Portugal. I was considering getting a train pass for the week and exploring Spain too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You might want to run this by someone at some point. It gets a little sticky as a ROTC mid since you're on orders and on active-duty until you come back. You can't take leave enroute (something normally done by active duty personnel when on TAD), so the travel claim may cause some issues when you get back.

Not being able to get a flight out is one thing, but just hitch-hiking through Europe while still on Mid orders is something different. I don't know what the answer is, but I might ask.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Always ask your unit about staying longer.

I did my 2/c cruise on a fast attack out of Hawaii. Another mid and myself moved our plane tickets back a few extra days w/ no trouble, and others arranged to leave sooner. We worked it out w/ SATO (the travel agency), and they said it wouldn't be a prob. Keep in mind this was 4 years ago.