• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question Regarding Flexibility of Scheduling Classes

timmyg

Hey,

I have done some research on BDCP, and I have a question concerning the contract one must sign which gives a schedule of the classes and expected graduation date. I am a varsity athlete on a D-I team, so I NEED flexibility because of conflicting practice and class times. If I needed to change classes, how easy is it after signing this contract?
Also, I am majoring in Aero/Astro Engineering, and this major combined with varsity athletics is super intense. How critical is it to graduate in four years (I am looking at 4 years plus one or two quarters)?

Thanks for the help.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Hey,

I have done some research on BDCP, and I have a question concerning the contract one must sign which gives a schedule of the classes and expected graduation date. I am a varsity athlete on a D-I team, so I NEED flexibility because of conflicting practice and class times. If I needed to change classes, how easy is it after signing this contract?
Also, I am majoring in Aero/Astro Engineering, and this major combined with varsity athletics is super intense. How critical is it to graduate in four years (I am looking at 4 years plus one or two quarters)?

Thanks for the help.

I am also a D1 athlete that is in BDCP and had problems with scheduling of classes and practice time, it is not that hard to change your plan at all, I changed it a couple times. Their main thing is that you graduate when you say you are going to graduate. You can take longer than 4 years, but since you are a technical major you can only be in BDCP for 3 years maximum. If you need to graduate later than you told them, they can send you to great lakes according to your contract. Plan it out, talk to an advisor, you will be just fine. Good Luck.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Changing the Academic Completion Form is not a big deal from what I've heard... to echo the above, graduating on time is. If you're an upperclassmen, you won't have to worry about running out of BDCP time. If you're a frosh, you may want to wait until midway through your sophomore year to apply in case you need that extra semester on the back end.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
One of my classes for next semester that I put on my plan isn't even offered. They asked "Are you going to graduate on time?" I said yes and they said okay. Didn't have to do anything.

fusu

It easy to change your ADCP, but a tad toilsome. I suggest filling in all your elective courses with "non-technical elective." That helps a lot because you only have to plan for courses relevant to your major.

Again, no big deal.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I am taking almost totally different classes but will graduate on time. I've had to fill out no paperwork other than tell my recruiter what is going on. No big deal.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
I just completed the ADCP. For my non-technical electives I simply put "3xxx/4xxx" and "advanced elective", and on my political science electives I put "3xxx/4xxx" and "PSCI elective (Field A)" or whatever field I had to select from. I just need 42 advanced credits, 21 that don't have to be in my field and the othe 21 in PSCI and meeting certain criteria (1 each from field A, B, C & D...etc.).

The more generic you can make it the easier you can accomplish your degree. I started putting down specific classes and both my OR and academic advisor said to be as easy on myself as possible and not naming the exact courses. This avoids any scheduling conflicts (if it's a spring course and you marked it in the fall - or if it's one that's only offered once a decade, etc.) and doesn't hold you to that outline if you decide you like another course instead.

As stated above, graduate on time and you're in like Flint.....oh yeah, and pass your classes with a grade above what your contract says your minimum GPA will be.

pmasters

Oh good can we be that vague about the academic plan? I'm swearing in tomorrow and was a little worried about my academic plan. I'll be graduating on time regardless but its nearly impossible to see into the future and see what classes will be offered and when.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
You're swearing in tomorrow? How did you get into the program if you didn't already submit an ADCP?

The biggest concern is graduating on time, and if something drastic came up and you needed to revise it (i.e. you had to retake a class or change majors) then you'd have to resubmit it for approval again. Just put down what you and your advisor think you'll be taking (again, I put "elective" or "advanced major elective", etc) and then enure that you get it all done within your two year timeframe. My OR and academic advisor (who prepares schedules for AF, Army and Navy ROTC cadets too) both told me to keep it as simple as possible, and both signed off on it. Your OR should know more specific details about it, or some of the recruiters that post on here will fill you in.