• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question on places to live

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
I was wondering what kind of regulations there were on how far away from base you can live. I would assume there would be a set mileage or travel time. So I was wondering what that would be, both during flight training and then later in your career.

Also, what do people recommend as a decent distance away from the base?

Yes, I realize that the answer to the second question is very subjective, but I was looking for the experience of others. Basically do most people live almost right outside the gates or do you get further out into a more country kind of atmosphere.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Kobyra

So, I wasn't quite sure where to place this thread. (any of you admins feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.)

Also, since I am not yet in the Navy, I realize that this is item 1000 on the list of things I need to worry about, but with the hurry up and wait atmosphere at this point, I figured it would be a good time to ask.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know people that have lived right outside the gates, and I know people that have lived as far away as Mobile (I don't recommend this). Considering how much gas is nowadays, and it won't be going down anytime soon (most likely), play it smart.

When I did API, a lot of people lived in Governor's Gate. Nice apartments, good central location. I think it was like a 20 minute drive to base.

saltpeter

If your an NFO and can get into the BOQ take it. When I went through many friends thought I was crazy for wanting to live on base and give up the housing allowanace, but I can tell you my floor was a daily meeting place for napping between briefing and flying. There were and I am sure still are days when you will brief at five O'dark thirty and won't fly until the afternoon. I for one was well rested. Unlike those who stayed in the briefing lounges, where the incestant talking and uncomfortable chairs made sleeping an impossible afterthought. Unless, you were lucky enough to push past the other studs and rate a barkalounger.
Also, I need peace and quiet to study. Groups are great once I have 99% of the knowledge solidified in my brain so I can discuss the topic in depth. But until then give me a quiet room on base for review.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
I know I put this in the API section. But I was looking for how far away are personnel allowed to live.

Basically if you wanted to live 2 hours away out in the country, is that allowed?

Kobyra

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
kobyra said:
Basically if you wanted to live 2 hours away out in the country, is that allowed?

There's people I knew who lived in Alabama. There's people here in Oceana I know who live in North Carolina.

Short answer: nobody's going to care where you live (I guess as long as you're within the 300 mile radius, lol), but use some judgement. You're going to have 5-ish am briefs, which means being at the squadron at 4-ish in the am, which means if you live 30 minutes away, you wake up at 3-ish in the am. That's pain enough. The guys who lived 45 minutes to an hour away were hating life.

If you're an NFO, I would highly recommend getting a place somewhere out the back gate... either off Blue Angel or around 98. It was 15 minutes for me to go from driveway to the hangar, and that was perfect.

lboyer83

kobyra said:
I know I put this in the API section. But I was looking for how far away are personnel allowed to live.

Kobyra

Yeah you can live where ever you want. Typical rule of thumb in the Navy is the 5 mile radius around the base is a poverty level. It's close and convenient, but always sub-standard. I lived in Governors Gate during API and highly recommend it. Lots of other students there, it's nicknamed LT's Gate because of this. Good location in town, about a 20-25 min drive, but easy to carpool with people in your class because half of them live there too.

cast-n-blast

TurnandBurn55 said:
If you're an NFO, I would highly recommend getting a place somewhere out the back gate... either off Blue Angel or around 98. It was 15 minutes for me to go from driveway to the hangar, and that was perfect.
Why does it differ if you're an NFO?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
cast-n-blast said:

Perdido Key. NFOs are more perminent and more apt to get a house or whatever there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cast-n-blast said:
Because pilots don't do primary at NASP, so they have to factor in a possible commute to Whiting for their post-API orders.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
lboyer83 said:
Typical rule of thumb in the Navy is the 5 mile radius around the base is a poverty level. It's close and convenient, but always sub-standard.

Except NAS North Island.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Except NAS North Island.
Or Whidbey, or Miramar (of the past). I'd say that rule applies to NAVSTAs, but not necessarily NAS.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
iboyer83 said:
Typical rule of thumb in the Navy is the 5 mile radius around the base is a poverty level. It's close and convenient, but always sub-standard.
Boy ... have you got a lot to learn .... :)
gregsivers said:
Except NAS North Island.
Brett327 said:
Or Whidbey, or Miramar (of the past)
Or Key West, or Moffett, or JRB FT Worth, or Kaneohe, or many others if you want to go back in time. The difference is in the past 25 years --- no new building has been allowed in most cases within in your arbitrary radius and therefore --- the places are getting older.

It's not because of the Navy --- it's because of encroachment, and the local regulations that flow from it which are designed to KEEP the bases open. High end neighborhoods tend to want to eliminate the source of the noise that offends their life-style. Substandard?? My Whidbey house is 3.7 NM from the NUW tower as the crow flies --- it's valued > 1 mil. The place in HNL is similar. But when the boys fly --- I love it.

And for the record ... when I went through Pensacola -- I lived in a little duplex just over the bridge @ Mainside. On the bayou -- one of the most desireable places to live -- at that time.

Times change .... or do they??

lboyer83

The areas around the base ARE typically sub-standard, and yes, it is due to encroachment and not the Navy, I never said it had anything to do with the Navy. In Pensacola the Bay area is nice and within 10 minutes, but mostly inaccessable to new ENS due to extremly high costs. The typical apartments that most ENS/2nd LT will be living in will probably be valued at a little less than a million dollars! Sorry, base-pay hasn't increased that much or ese I'm getting the shaft.
There are some descent apartments out the back gate, but if you go down the street from there you are in shanty-ville. My biggest concern and motivation for giving the advice to live in a reputable area is safety. Female SNA was recently attacked inside her home down here.