• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question on Grad School

Random Task

pilot
I am planning on doing grad school in Mech Eng (I am currently a 1/c MIDN in ROTC) as my school offers a 5 year combined program with a scholarship (which I was accepted to already). I originally applied for an LOA to allow me to do this which would delay my commissioning one year (to May 2009) and not extend my service contract (not that it matters because 1390 contract is longer anyway). I was just recently sent an e-mail from my ROTC unit saying that the navy is offering a few Slots which allow me to get commissioned this year and still do grad school here while receiving full pay and benefits. I have two questions.

1)Does anyone have any insight as to if this throws off your rotation dates or your 'slated department-head tour' timing?

2)Any cons to the program?

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
I believe the program is known as the Immediate Graduate Education Program (IGEP). It comes in several flavors. Certain ones will send you to military graduate schools to complete your degree in a year, other versions will allow you to remain at a civilian school for up to two years.

I was selected for the program and went to the Air Force Institute of Technology for a one year Aero Engineering grad program. I have friends who have done the civilian school program. I know the civilian school program requires you to find funding to help pay tuition and fees, but it sounds like you have that taken care of already.

As far as timing goes, well there are two schools of thought. The first, think its a bad idea because it puts you behind your year group and you have to play catch up. I can understand this with a 2 year grad program, but with a one year grad program it won't make that much of a difference. I, personally, am only about 6 to 8 months behind the people I graduated from school with. So, I can still easily catch up to my peers and I have a grad degree already...good deal in my book.

The second school of thought, and the most common one, be glad you got your grad degree early. If you stay in the Navy for a career its kinda expected you get a grad degree to advance past 0-4. Second, an engineering degree will open a LOT of doors to you down the road (TPS, AEDO, AMDO, and other engineering related fields).

Personally, for a one year grad program, get your Masters degree and get it done. You'll catch up to your peers quickly. School may suck while you are there, but you'll be glad you got it out of the way early. I haven't seen any benefit to having my Masters in flight school, but I know I will be glad I have it a couple years down the road when I make decisions concerning TPS or AEDO. That or when I get out of the Navy and look for a civilian job.

Hope that helps.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
+1 Ektar......Totally agree. I think that the one year behind your peers is worth having a technical Masters over them. Is TPS or NASA a goal of yours? If so, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Honestly, I haven't made my mind up yet as far as TPS, NASA, or any other similar options go. Getting my wings, has always been a goal. I want to get those first, then I'll see where life takes me. I'm definitely not ruling TPS, AEDO, or any of the options out. Just gotta see what happens and where I go, ya know?

Random Task

pilot
Thanks Ektar really appreciate the info. I think it would be worth it due to the open options later on down the road especially because I can finish in 1 year. Maybe I can even get IFS done in the mean time which will catch me up even more

megs

My boyfriend went to the Naval Academy for undergrad and then to the University of Virginia to do his masters. The navy gave him 18 months to get his masters done without having to put extra time in. He thinks it was the best decision because he got paid by the navy to get his masters done early, while he was still in the 'study mode'. His roommate did the same exact thing. Sure, they're a little behind the guys that they graduated with, but in the long run they will be ahead with the masters already done. Plus, if you finish at an off time, you won't be stuck somewhere waiting to class up because all the slots were full from Academy guys.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I did the same thing a few years ago (went to NPS). The long term ramifications of timing have yet to be seen, but as far as me and my front office can tell, I should still be on time to make the wickets with a minimal amount of adjustments required (the earlier I get off of my shore tour and on to the boat the better), with the added bonus of not having to use my free time to get a masters during my shore tour. The 1 year I spent sitting on my ass in A-Pool didn't help the timing situation, but there wasn't much I could do about that. If you can get IFS done while doing your masters, that'd be a big help.

All that being said, as an aviator (or NFO), it's hard to find dedicated time in your career to go get a master's degree. So, if you want a masters degree that is more viable in the outside world or in an area that is harder to get in your spare time (engineering), it might be better off to get it now while the getting is good.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
All that being said, as an aviator (or NFO), it's hard to find dedicated time in your career to go get a master's degree. So, if you want a masters degree that is more viable in the outside world or in an area that is harder to get in your spare time (engineering), it might be better off to get it now while the getting is good.

Absolute gold there.
I'm finishing up my MA (yeah, I know but at least it's a civilian Masters) just before rolling to my DH tour. It's taken 3 years part time and it sucks.
You'll be free to chase other wickets as mentioned above, namely JPME.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
My old roommate from the squadron did this and has just put on O-4 and is right now going through the timing issues it causes. PM me and I'll send you contact info so you can get the gouge from the horse's mouth at the time in the career where it starts to become a factor.

I don't know if it's ultimately been good, bad, or non-issue for him - it certainly wasn't in the squadron.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about the career timing. If you are a player in whatever community you end up in then they will make your timing work. If you aren't, then the fact that your timing is off isn't your biggest problem.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Don't worry about the career timing. If you are a player in whatever community you end up in then they will make your timing work. If you aren't, then the fact that your timing is off isn't your biggest problem.

Agree, but nobody looks after you like you.

Everything in your career is timing and gates.
Training, 1st sea tour, 1st shore, 2nd sea tour, DH tour...
There are certain places you need to be by certain times in order to have all the checks in the block to promote/screen.
Worst case is you have to cut short a shore tour to get enough time to fulfill your sea tour obligation and break out on your fitrep. Why? So, you can be competitive with your peers who have been trucking along while you were at school.
1 year isn't bad off the bat, you just want to avoid NOB fitreps anytime later in your career.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
OP: I did a 2-year grad program that sounds like the one you're describing, but I was able to knock out IFS at my commissioning source (back when you could do it anywhere) after I commissioned. It has definitely put me behind my peers, but 6 days versus 6 months in A-pool has probably helped. As has been stated above, you can cut time off of your shore tour to make up time and get back w/ your peers, and w/ a one-year program, it'll be much easier for you than for me. The bottom line from my ROTC aviation advisor back when I had to make the decision: if you want the "career progression" you have to kick butt no matter what you decide, and you probably won't get this chance again. Of course, I say go for it.

By the way, you'll find the instruction directing the program that participated in here.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
1 year isn't bad off the bat, you just want to avoid NOB fitreps anytime later in your career.

That is very much true, but what I am saying is that one year of grad school right after commissioning can only be a potential problem if you are pack, pack-minus in your community anyways.

Everything in your career is timing and gates.

But if you are pack-plus then your community will make your timing work.