• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for the "been there, done that's"

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Couldn't find an exact answer through a search. Are orders to the forward deployed airwing much sought after out of the RAG? I honestly don't know how the choosing of orders/SQD's goes at the RAG (dreamsheet style?), but I was curious how they are given out and if that particular CVW is a hard one to get?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couldn't find an exact answer through a search. Are orders to the forward deployed airwing much sought after out of the RAG? I honestly don't know how the choosing of orders/SQD's goes at the RAG (dreamsheet style?), but I was curious how they are given out and if that particular CVW is a hard one to get?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

There's usually at least one guy in each FRS/RAG class that wants to go to the FWD Deployed squadron. Sometimes there isn't an opening, sometimes there is. In my class we did not have a billet but we had a guy that wanted it. So he worked through the Student Control Officer and took the billet from the class behind us. Bottom line: If you really want it and you get the FRS blessing, then you will get it.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MasterBates

There is also a minimum boat GPA (at least for E2/C2) to go to Japan. I think it also applies to going to a squadron underway when you show up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There is also a minimum boat GPA ..... to (go) to a squadron underway when you show up.
It used to be that way -- as a Nugget you basically had to be at or near Top Hook" in your RAG BOAT class. I'm glad to see that some "good" things remain constant ... :) :sleep_125

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Used to be they identified you prior to your boat det, then gave you 12 / 8 Day / Night traps instead of the normal 10 / 6.

As with most things, there are good / bad associated w/ wanting to be the guy sent forward immediately.

The whole cycle used to be based on getting a nugget to his / her squadron prior to the Air Wing workup in Fallon. That got you involved in mission planning, tactics, and some pretty choice flying (at least it was when the tactic of choice was still an opposed low-level ingress at night). It also gave you a few boat dets of experience that culminated in a Joint Task Force Exercise of some sort.

Going to a deployed squadron would deprive you of that training opportunity. You would probably feel like you were way behind the power curve. On the other hand, it might enable you to get an extra deployment under your belt prior to leaving your first squardon. That may translate to more hours and traps, which might be needed if you are pursuing other flying opportunities that require a minimum number of hours.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... The whole cycle used to be based on getting a nugget to his / her squadron prior to the Air Wing workup in Fallon...
Roger that -- unless there's a NAVAIR shooting war going on ... then the VA Wing Assignment guys would take the "best of the rest" and send 'em to CUBI as VA replacements. :eek: And no "his/hers" in the good ol' days ....

a-6intruder said:
1. You would probably feel like you were way behind the power curve.
2. On the other hand, it might enable you to get an extra deployment under your belt prior to leaving your first squardon.
3. That may translate to more hours and traps ...
4. Which might be needed if you are pursuing other flying opportunities that require a minimum number of hours (such as the airlines -- added for illustration :)).
1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. and .... Check

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Roger that -- unless there's a NAVAIR shooting war going on ... then the VA Wing Assignment guys would take the "best of the rest" and send 'em to CUBI as VA replacements. :eek: And no "his/hers" in the good ol' days ....

1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. and .... Check

Actually my Item #4 was referencing TPS or rushing the Blues, but your illustration is probably more widespread / apropos.

tlord82

pilot
For a recent example, three guys were chosen out of a recent hornet RAG class to be Priority A (Pri-A). Pri-A means that you will almost immediately head out to a squadron that is currently deployed or leaving on deployment. This usually involves several of the Japan squadrons since they are deployed more frequently.
The pilots were chosen before going on the boat according to grades and instructor input. They did not necessarily have to be Top Hook, but they did get more traps and have to finish with a higher average to still be considered Pri-A. We finished the boat on a Thursday and on Saturday, two of the Pri-A's were on a flight to Japan to join CAG 5. They cruised the following Tuesday:eek:
Several non Pri-A guys did put Japan on their dreamsheet, but those slots seem to mostly go to Pri-A guys for the reason I already mentioned.
So to answer your question, if you want to go to a forward deployed squadron, work your ass off in the RAG and hope your timing works out.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Do not bite off on the rumor that if you go to Japan, you will have your choice of orders afterwards. It STILL depends upon your performance in your fleet squadron. But you will get lots of flight time and be on the Alpha strike into downtown Pyong Yang if it ever comes to that...I keed I keed!:D