• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for Jr. Officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by DustydogCSAR
I believe that you can request for augmentation after four years, and after 5 it is automatic. At least that's how it was a couple of years ago. The request thing may be gone now that it is automatic?

-Ike

Not quite. I'm over 5 years, and I haven't been augmented. Guys are still having to send in their request. Unless of course no one's bothered to tell me...but I guess message traffic should tell me something.

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
The augmentation question is truly a money and dedication issue. You can request it after 0-3, plenty of time for them to hang you out to dry as USNR if the "needs" require. Another factoid...if you were USNA (maybe ROTC too, not sure) and you get axed for downsizing before augmentation, you still owe USNR time, depending on date of rank and all that admin stuff...not a problem...except try getting any real USNR assignments these days that coincide with civilian jobs and family. Bottom line, if you want to stay in past 0-4, request ASAP to augment and CYA :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can see that many of you need to get into the pubs. Many, many answers here that are off the cuff so speak.

Bevo16

pilot
The guys that are getting "axed" prior to the end of their commitiment are getting discharged into the inactive reserves. It would take an act of congress for them to get called up.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is anyone familiar with FTS - Full Time Support (used to be called TAR - Training and Administration of Reserves)? Those guys are all USNR (active duty)....they still get promoted, yes even to O-5, O-6, O-7 levels.

Bevo, I think it would be inaccurate to say that it would take an act of congress for those guys getting "axed" to get called up. Chances are pretty good that someone who is inactive USNR will not get the call. However, they are still a name on a list until their obligation is completely over. That said, it doesn't take an act of congress, only a simple phone call, to mobilize those personnel. If you have the skills the navy needs at a time the navy needs em, you could get called. As the XO of a reserve center, I saw it happen about 5 times.

Bevo16

pilot
I would be willing to bet that the guys who got called up from the inactive reserves did not resist the call up. They were also probably senior officers or enlisted men with skills that were in short supply. Something really bad would have to happen for us to start recalling officers from the inactive reserve when these officers don't even have a designator.

I am not 100% sure on the requirements to recall someone from the inactive reserves, but it is much more complex than a standard call up.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
You can apply for augmentation as early as 4 years from commissioning starting w/ YG-97. At the five or six year point they will automatically screen your record for augmentation, and provided there's nothing derogatory you'll get confirmed. Now you still have to accept the augmentation by letter, and it'll come out in a NAVADMIN message both for selection and for confirmation. The mesage will include the format your admin dept will need to crank showing your acceptance and your skipper's endorsement that will go to BUPERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.