• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for an Old Salt

FARMBOY

Background info:
NROTC scholarship program. 2/C Midshipman, 3.3GPA Finance.

Here is my situation,

I love to fly. In fact, in the next couple of weeks I will have my Private Pilot Certificate. At 28 flight hours, I have completed nearly all requirements established by the FAA (solo cross country flights, night landings, towered touch and go's, etc.). Of course, I still need 12 hours of flight time. The point, however, is that flying came pretty easy for me. I love to fly, but now I am starting to think that it may be a fun hobby, and not something I would want to do as my career/lifestyle. I chose flying because I don't have the competitive grades necessary to apply for a BUD'S slot as an officer (SEALs). I would like to leave the physical fitness aspect out of the equation, at least for this post. I think it would be more helpful to hear what people have to say fundamentally, and not rant about how hard BUDS will be. Enlisting was never really an option I had considered until a couple of months ago, mainly because my family would disapprove of me quitting NROTC. But, now that I am older, I am more concerned about my OWN future, and not trying to earn others approval.

Part of me says this: "Finish your degree and enlist! You can prepare for BUDs while you finish college, and be prepared once you enlist! You don't want to look back on your life and kick yourself in the ass everyday for not trying. If it works out, you can go to OCS if a slot is available. If not, oh well. You have just earned something very few people can even comprehend!"

The other side says: "Don't be foolish. The chances of you getting into flight school are high. You'll have your college paid for. You will be doing something that you love! Stick to the plan, and quit loosing focus."

It's kind of a tough predicament to explain. If anyone has been in a situation similar to mine, (making tough choices concerning a Navy career), I would appreciate any advice/criticism. Especially from "old salts", who have been there, done that.

FARMBOY

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The other side says: "Don't be foolish. The chances of you getting into flight school are high. You'll have your college paid for. You will be doing something that you love! Stick to the plan, and quit loosing focus."

It's kind of a tough predicament to explain. If anyone has been in a situation similar to mine, (making tough choices concerning a Navy career), I would appreciate any advice/criticism. Especially from "old salts", who have been there, done that.

FARMBOY

I'm not an "old salt" but am a winged aviator, so here's my opinion FWIW. Do what interests you, and stick with it. Keep in mind that military flying is very different from any general aviation flying you have done, and the standards for success are MUCH higher (much more is expected of you too). If you love to go out, have fun, and enjoy the view, you may be up for a rude awakening when/if you get into the cockpit of a military aircraft. Not saying that this isn't fun or rewarding, just that it is a job, and there simply isn't that much time to enjoy the view so to speak. I'd say that you have just about as much of a chance as anyone in getting into and through the program, BUT, that doesn't mean that it will be easy or that it is a given. So I guess my point is not to base your decision on the mistaken notion that flight school will be the easy route, or that it will be the kind of experience you might think it to be given your civilian flying experience. Either option will be very demanding (albeit in some different ways), and both will require the highest level of dedication to the job that you can muster. Hope that helps, and I'm sure others with more experience will chime in here as well.

FARMBOY

Thanks Sir.

As I reread my post, it did in fact sound like I was making flight school out to be the easy route. This, however, was not my intention. My apologies. Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
You have a plan, and it is working well. As such, you're thinking of changing your plan? Didn't you just say you love to fly? You can't do it all; if you have a strength, nurture it and run with it. Sticking with your guns got you this far.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
If you want to be a SEAL, sack up and go do it. Your age window is very limited for whatever you want to do, so make sure you take that into account also.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Enlisting to go BUDS with a college degree, attriting, and going on to flight school is not unheard of. Pretty sure a guy on this board did it. Also heard a story about a guy from my home town who was getting PT'd in the surf, looked up and saw jets, DOR'd and went on to fly Marines.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enlisting to go BUDS with a college degree, attriting, and going on to flight school is not unheard of. Pretty sure a guy on this board did it. Also heard a story about a guy from my home town who was getting PT'd in the surf, looked up and saw jets, DOR'd and went on to fly Marines.

Eddie, that is not good gouge especially in today's economy, which makes all highly competitive warfare specialities even harder to enter. Regardless of what you think you have heard, they are asking for volunteers to redesignate at flight school even before this year's bumper crop of College grads arrived. Some accession paths are closed for months or forseeable future so attriting out of BUD/S while enlisted and going to flight school isn't a direct path if even feasible. Please refrain from these type posts if you haven't been there, done that. You've been on these boards a long time, but he asked for an "Old Salt" and you don't even qualify as a "Young Salt".

exhelodrvr

pilot
How badly do you want to finish college?
How badly do you want to be an officer in the Navy?
How badly do you want to fly?
What would you feel about being a non-aviation, non-SEAL officer?
How badly do you want to be a SEAL?
Would you rather take a chance on being an enlisted SEAL (understanding the dropout/failure rate, and what your duty woudl be were that to happen) at the expense of being a non-SEAL officer?

Answer those questions, and that will tell you what to do.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Decision Time!

The ball's in your court...do you want to FLY NAVY or do you want to be a SEAL??? You can't do both. Going into one program and giving yourself the option to fail there, then switch to another program...is a recipe to FAIL. Even considering attriting beforre you start, ensures that you will give up when the going gets tough in BUDS. With this (attrite) in your record, I believe it will be near impossible to get selected for the flight training program, despite what Eddie said about the "guy in his hometown". Competition for USN flight training is too tough these days, plus you'll be fighting the clock agewise.:idea_125:

This "Old Salt" recommends - forget BUDS, go for the Commission & put in a package for the flight training. Getting some civvie flight hours & a PPL could help and it sure won't hurt. Only you can decide, so do it and go for it with eyes on the prize, whichever it is!
Good luck (and try to pump up that GPA).:glasses_1
BzB, shaking salt from beard

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
"Don't be foolish. The chances of you getting into flight school are high. You'll have your college paid for. You will be doing something that you love! Stick to the plan, and quit loosing focus."

Tomodachi

pilot
Not an old salt but can give advise for BUD/s. I DOR'd from the program in the summer of 2008 with class 272. Let me tell you that unless you are 100% committed to being a SEAL, you will not make it. That 1% shred of doubt will grow on you until you DOR. You seem to not really know what you want, just follow your GUT and go with what you feel is the best path. When you have passed the point of exhaustion in BUD/s and are still being screamed at to keep going, if "Oh I can just DOR and be a PILOT!" is in your mind then you will not make it through to be a SEAL, because you will DOR.

FARMBOY

mightymouse3,

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that convinced you to DOR?
And, what was the common thread, so to speak, that kept the others from DOR-ing?

Tomodachi

pilot
You ever go running/exercise and just hit that wall where you can't lift your arms up or take another step? Well you hit that wall several times a day but have to keep going. I just couldn't keep going mentally, couldn't push past those walls anymore. Physically everyones bodies are broken down to barely functionable status.

In my opinion everyone that makes it made it up in their minds that no matter what happened they were going to be a SEAL, that meant sacrificing your body and never giving up. Those guys just "had it".